Pressure Fermenter: Substitute for Fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As the Rip van Winkle of brewing, I am still catching up on new things, and I just found out about pressure fermenting.

I have read that it allows fermentation at higher temperatures, in addition to providing other benefits.

I see there is some debate about whether the beer tastes better. That's not a big concern to me. If there is no improvement at all, it would still be worth it if I could get the same beer I used to make without setting up a fermenting fridge.

Is that too much to ask for?

It looks like a Fermzilla runs $124, but I would have to pay at least $250 for a new freezer. Cost is not a big consideration, but a freezer takes up a lot of room.

My house is between 73° and 75° just about all the time.

Before I quit brewing, I usually made ales at around 68°, but I also have some lager recipes.

Before I quit brewing, I usually made ales at around 68°, but I also have some lager recipes.
We still make lager, ale and IPA's without pressure fermenting. So if you have the stuff you can still make beer. Then just keep tabs on the pressure ferment articles, videos and the conversation in threads here till you know you wish to go that way.

I still just ferment at about 69°F ambient temps in 1 atmosphere. Though in the summer I do let the house warm up some and even 73° wouldn't be an issue for the ales I've done.. And a bucket or carboy is fine although I recently moved to a conical.

I haven't done any lager yet. Not sure if I will this year. But you know what they say about never say never.

I use a Fermonster but I do 2.5 batches. Since mini fridges are cheap off Craig’s list I still control temp. I’ve only made one batch of lager so I really can’t comment. What I do love about the set up is doing closed transfers to keep O2 out. Plastic is way cheaper than stainless steel.

Pressure suppresses ester generation like low temperature. However, the profiles are different.
You should watch or read this video if interested in pressure fermentation.

As the Rip van Winkle of brewing, I am still catching up on new things, and I just found out about pressure fermenting.

I have read that it allows fermentation at higher temperatures, in addition to providing other benefits.

I see there is some debate about whether the beer tastes better. That's not a big concern to me. If there is no improvement at all, it would still be worth it if I could get the same beer I used to make without setting up a fermenting fridge.

Is that too much to ask for?

It looks like a Fermzilla runs $124, but I would have to pay at least $250 for a new freezer. Cost is not a big consideration, but a freezer takes up a lot of room.

My house is between 73° and 75° just about all the time.

Fermenting under pressure isn't exactly a replacement for temperature control, it can somewhat offset the need for traditional cold temperatures though. You can ferment ales and lagers under pressure, purge serving kegs with the ferment and then xfer to that keg oxygen free, which steps up product quality by a yuge margin.

The first rule of fight club is, there are no rules in fight club. Pressure can be 1 to 50+ psi and anywhere in between. There are no experts on the subject yet, so you merely have rough guidelines. I have made 30+ bbls at home under pressure and still am learning all the time. Every yeast is different under pressure, learn a couple well. Ale yeasts can be extremely expressive at 2 psi and then cranked up to serving volumes with a few points left, lager yeasts can be hit with high head pressure from the start if you pitch a big starter. Don't listen to anyone including me, prove it to yourself.

These days with a simple all in one system, an all rounder and a keg, anyone can make some incredible beers. Yesterday I put 1 pack of Verdant dry yeast into a small vitality starter at 11 am, pitched that at 3 pm and it is down 17 points today sitting at 5psi in just 24 hours. I will dry hop it tomorrow morning, crank up the spunding valve and likely keg it Tuesday. It will be ready to drink next weekend. That’s what Willis was talkin 'bout!

I have an All-Rounder on the way, so I look forward to giving pressure a shot.

I truly appreciate all the generous responses I get here.

Latest posts

Back