fresh vs made form concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamkamdac

Reaction score
is there a difference in taste between making cider form apple juice not made from concentrate and apple juice made from concentrate, given that they are both 100% apple juice with not preservatives.

on my first batch i used martinellies 100% juice, but its 10 bucks a gal here so i want to use tree top 100% juice from concentrate since its half the price, but i dont know if it being made from concentrate will make it taste funny.

also im using apple juice because the closest place that sells fresh pressed apple cider is quite a drive

I use TreeTop apple juice from Costco; it comes in around $8 for 2 gallons. $10/gal is crazy expensive (so is $8/2gal but …meh). I can find fresh pressed unpasteurized apple cider 200+ miles from Vegas but its expensive; like $25/gal!

As far as concentrate vs. store bought juice; the water you use for the concentrate comes to mind as a factor. I’m no expert on water chemistry for cider but if I was going to use concentrate I’d probably use bottled spring water from the store.

I do rack on top of two cans apple concentrate when I keg my 5 gal batches of cider for extra apple flavor and sweetness. :tank:

Without getting into more juice debates, I would suggest making a batch with the tree top and see if you like it or not. It might not be the exact quality of the martenellies, but I bet you would end up with something that's a fine product.

Some have suggested using a can of high quality organic apple juice concentrate to help boost the flavor of store bought juice. Maybe a granny smith concentrate?

Back