Fresh Labels!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
So, I never figured I would mess with labels. But after bottling my first Belgian in traditional bottles with corks and cages, I felt I really should "cap" the achievement and do something nice.

I am calling my Belgian Golden Strong "Bigend" in honor of the latest book by my favorite author, William Gibson.

0301-b-e1288058788307.png

For this label, I am calling my "brewery" Brygge Undertrappen, which is Norwegian for "Brewery Under The Stairs". I know that a Norwegian name for a "Belgian" doesn't really match, but I think that's the name I'm going to go with, to highlight my Norwegian background. Too bad there really isn't a "Norwegian" beer style. May have to stick to the Belgians.

Reworked the typefaces a little. I thought they should be a little more "traditional".

0301a2_small.png

Printed a test on my inkjet and stuck to a bottle with some milk (1% organic) and it looks pretty good! Will have to get a photo of the bottle tomorrow. I know it's WAY too early to sample, but I put one in the fridge just to see. ;)

Reworked the typefaces a little. I thought they should be a little more "traditional".

0301a2_small.png

Printed a test on my inkjet and stuck to a bottle with some milk (1% organic) and it looks pretty good! Will have to get a photo of the bottle tomorrow. I know it's WAY too early to sample, but I put one in the fridge just to see. ;)

How did you create the label? Mind sending a template? I love the style of the label.

I have to second that, the original looks better. Cool that you named it after a character in a William Gibson novel though :p

You should put a little blue ant in the bottom right corner. First label is pretty busy but the fonts all work together better than the second.

You should put a little blue ant in the bottom right corner. First label is pretty busy but the fonts all work together better than the second.

Yeah, I was looking for an ant bush for Photoshop so I could do that.

I like the "Golden Strong Ale" font and the brewery name font better in the second version, but maybe the BIGEND should go back to the original font. I dunno. I'll fiddle with it a little more before I print any other labels.

And IP, you're just jealous that my goblet is hipster cred incarnate. :D

How did you create the label? Mind sending a template? I love the style of the label.

There's not much to it. Just put the background color down and then the lines. I used a "grunge" style brush to erase out parts of the lines and then laid the text down. Don't really have a template for it ye.t But when I do, I hope to be able to do a lot of different approaches of the same label with different names and colors.

Bah. ;P

Really, it was a $2 goblet and I didn't have one. I do find it sorta ironic, though.

Here's a hybrid of the two labels.

0301-a3.png

One trick I do is that whenever I download a lot of font I write all of their names out next to the word or name I want to use. Then I have a full list of fonts with what the final product will look like. Plus my memory sucks so it is handy to see them all at once. Bleeding Cowboy is a sick font BTW.

Yeah, it is a sick font, but when you have repeated letters, the drops and stuff get a little muddled, IMO. Plus, it's a little played out.

The blue statistics font? That's my handwriting. I found an online font maker where you print out a template and fill in the fields with your own handwriting. Then you scan to PDF and upload to the site. It crunches and spits out a font of your own handwriting.

http://www.yourfonts.com/

It was free when I did it. Now, it looks like it's $10 - $15 depending on how many characters you want.

For this label, I am calling my "brewery" Brygge Undertrappen, which is Norwegian for "Brewery Under The Stairs". I know that a Norwegian name for a "Belgian" doesn't really match, but I think that's the name I'm going to go with, to highlight my Norwegian background. Too bad there really isn't a "Norwegian" beer style. May have to stick to the Belgians.

Hi, Norwegian guy here! I hate to risk ruining anything for you, but thought you should now: "Brygge undertrappen" actually makes very little sense in Norwegian. Or at least it doesn't mean "brewery under the stairs"

Brygge = as a noun: dock/wharf - as a verb: to brew
Bryggeri = brewery

And "undertrappen" must be split into "under trappen" if you want it to mean "under the stairs". Undertrappen, in one word, means either "the wonder stairs" or "the lower stairs".

So, "Brewery under the stairs" = "Bryggeri under trappen", or if you want "The brewery under the stairs" it's "Bryggeriet under trappen". Not a huge change from the original, but a quite big difference in meaning.

Just thought you should know, hope it's ok! :) :mug:

Hi, Norwegian guy here! I hate to risk ruining anything for you, but thought you should now: "Brygge undertrappen" actually makes very little sense in Norwegian. Or at least it doesn't mean "brewery under the stairs"

Brygge = as a noun: dock/wharf - as a verb: to brew
Bryggeri = brewery

And "undertrappen" must be split into "under trappen" if you want it to mean "under the stairs". Undertrappen, in one word, means either "the wonder stairs" or "the lower stairs".

So, "Brewery under the stairs" = "Bryggeri under trappen", or if you want "The brewery under the stairs" it's "Bryggeriet under trappen". Not a huge change from the original, but a quite big difference in meaning.

Just thought you should know, hope it's ok! :) :mug:

Just seeing this response. Thanks for the correction. I'll be sure to update for future labels. :)

Cheers!

Back