Fresh hops questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoMD

Reaction score
I've always used store-bought hops but a friend has picked some centennial hops for me. Is it OK to dry in a plastic bag and then place in a freezer to store? Also, how do you know when the hops have suffciently dried? Is it sanitary for dry hopping? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

They won't dry in a plastic bag.

Use a food dehydrator, screens, or an air-hocky table. There are lots of posts in this forum that detail different ways to dry hops. Personally, I like to use a food dehydrator (on the lowest setting) over night. Then I let them sit for a few hours before vacuum sealing and freezing. This method dries them out all the way and then lets them absorb a bit of the ambient moisture. It seems to get them just right. Dry, they should weight 1/4 - 1/5 of the original.

They are perfectly safe for dry hopping. Commercial hop growers don't do anything special to the hops you buy in the store.

I let them air dry on big window screens (or you can use a sliding door screen.) It takes 3 to 5 days, but I believe I lose less of the aromatics that way. I keep them away from sunlight, in a warm garage, suspended on two sawhorses. I pack them in freezer bags when the inner stem is brittle enough to break easily. Then I store them in the freezer until used.

Back