Fresh fruit in the boil, or "Hey Doc, does this look infected to you?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raenon

Reaction score
Alright, so I've done a couple of batches so far, and they went rather well. Maybe I got cocky. Maybe I just got a little stupid.
I brewed up a rather simple Blonde Ale from a mr beer kit, but I also boiled about a cup, cup and a half of fresh cherries, raspberries, and blueberries (mixed) that I had left over.
I didn't consider it at the time, but I did nothing to sanitize them except boil them. Actually extracted a fair bit of color and aroma in that step, but I left the now dull looking berries in the wort, finished the rest of the recipe, and pitched at the proper temp (just a little mr beer yeast packet, too)

Now its a been two weeks, and the mashed up cherries are floating at the top of the fermenter, covered in what I really hope is just yeast, but looks decidedly like fibrous, mucousy horror.

I know I generally don't need to fear getting sick from trying beer, even infected usually just means bad taste, not deadly... but given the fresh fruit aspect, do I have a concern here? Could a bacterial growth have taken hold before the yeast?
I tried to get as close up a view with out actually removing a sample.

ForumRunner_20120224_230655.jpg

ForumRunner_20120224_230719.jpg

ForumRunner_20120224_230754.jpg

boiling fruit? might be wax, might be spoiled looking like that. take a sample. sweet? keep it fermenting for a couple weeks. sour? ferment for a couple years

That doesn't look too bad for two weeks. But yeah, if after a few weeks it's tasting sour let it go and you'll have a real gem after some time.

So... even if I have an unknown infection, and it tastes sour, its still safe to bottle an lay it up for months or years and let it meld into a sour style brew?

If you boiled it, you sanitized it, better than freezing or washing in sanitizer would do. What you've got to be concerned about is all the pectin you likely extracted from boiling the fruit. Which will probably haze up the beer.

You usually use fruit in secondary and don't boil it. The pectin BigRob speaks of can cause bad protein haze. You might be able fine it out but this beer may be a candidate for filtering too.

Finally got the time (and nerve) to bottle this today, and tried it. The weird masses on the fruit seemed to have settled some, which sure didn't look like infection anymore.
I made sure to carefully rack it before bottling, and though there is a distinct haze right now, its a very light reddish color and fruity smell (along with a smack of hops and malt), which I hope will come through on the pour after conditioning.

Back