Fresh Coriander From Garden...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MileHighHops

Reaction score
Anyone used coriander from your cilantro plants? I'm new to gardening and brewing (both have become obsessive hobbies :rockin:) and was curious if I could yield some quality coriander seeds for a belgian wit this summer, while also enjoying some fresh cilantro in my homemade salsa :ban:

May be a dumb question, but anyone around here try this?

Sounds fantastic. I'm sure it can be done, I'm just not sure of the best way to dry out the seeds (natural drying or oven drying (not roasting)

i WISH i could grow cilantro and parsley here in the hot VA summer. i don't even try anymore.

Cilantro is easy to grow but very hard to harvest because it bolts very quickly. Of course, bolting is where the coriander would come from. I've never tried to save and dry seeds, but if you know how, it should be easy enough to do.

yes i have have done this. First time was last year. was sorta more work than expected but nothing terrible if your doing small amounts.

The plants seems to flower out soon as it gets hot and then get the little "berries" form. I let them go till they looked like they were about the size they should be ( use your own judgement i guess) i pulled the whole plants and hung em in the garage to dry some more. when the branches were dry enough
I pulled off all the berries and then tried separating them from all the dried leaves and stuff. A collander with larger holes worked pretty good.

Even though the main plant and leaves and everything else was dry as a bone, when I tried grinding the berries they were still sorta wettish, but seemed ok.

they worked great when brewed with, no grassy flavors

I collected quite a bit from our garden last year but haven't used any yet. It's pretty dry from sitting all winter so I plan on using some for a Orange Coriander Cascade Pale Ale I have lined up.

Coriander is about all I get from cilontro plants as I ignore them for a day and they bolt on me ruining the cilantro. I let the plant dry out pretty well and then cut the stalks and put in a paper bag and work the coriander of the plant from there. I haven't made any beer with it yet, but bknifefight's orange coriander apa sounds pretty tasty.

Back