French Oak vs. American Oak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnerdude1

Reaction score
I am going to use powered oak on my blackberry wine this year. So in regards to flavor, what is the difference in powered French Oak vs. American powered oak?

Thanks..

Hard to explain exactly... but American oak has a lot more volatile and otherwise aroma producing compounds, like lactones and vanillin. You'll get more of those toffee, vanilla, and coconut type aromas from it, of course how many of which depending on the toast. French oak is also aromatic, but by less, and tends to contribute a rougher sort of tannic and more woody kind of aroma than American oak.

Sorry about the laffen :eek: Turnerdude1 I haven't learned enuf about wines to start with the oaking yet.... But could not resist the bwahaha...
But I am curious as to how it turns out for you...

Yea ok..I will be processing around 200 lbs of Blackberries so buying the oak powder and a wine pump as last year it took for ever to rack the 70 gals plus....Will let you know how it came out..Last years was very good...

Yea ok..I will be processing around 200 lbs of Blackberries so buying the oak powder and a wine pump as last year it took for ever to rack the 70 gals plus....Will let you know how it came out..Last years was very good...

OH man do I know what ya mean- I racked my first 5 gallons of Apfelwein using only the small hosing that was new from my fish tank hose back up-- can you say the longest hour ever!:eek: The most I have going now is about 12 gallons... One day I may be adventuresome enuf to try oaking..

Back