Oaking melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimPilot

Reaction score
Are there any guides or personal experience with oaking melomel mead?

Also I'm trying to see difference between french and american oak.

The reason I'm asking - I have blackberry and blueberry melomels, one is dry and another approaching dry. I want to raise taste from dry without adding honey.... but I'm not sure if "vanilla" taste is compatible with either fruit.

Any 2c?

Are there any guides or personal experience with oaking melomel mead?

Also I'm trying to see difference between french and american oak.

The reason I'm asking - I have blackberry and blueberry melomels, one is dry and another approaching dry. I want to raise taste from dry without adding honey.... but I'm not sure if "vanilla" taste is compatible with either fruit.

Any 2c?
Here's an article by Dr. Bray Denard, ( father of the BOMM) that deals with oaking. Maybe something in here can answer your question.
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

Oaking article
👇👇👇👇
https://www.denardbrewing.com/blog/post/oak-mead/

3.5 months seems like an eternity to oak something… i have a Cherry mead that I made some horrible mistakes in primary. Now it’s my test subject for 3.5 months of oaking.

I have spiral American light toast oak which according to their manual will take less than 6 weeks. I'm testing it on blackberry dry and blueberry 1.004ish. It will probably take 4 days IMHO. I'm doing half stick on each.

Latest posts

Back