Freezing wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegelow04

Reaction score
I haven't tried this yet nor has anyone in my club. Has anyone had any luck freezing wort to use for a starter at a later date. If so has anyone found any advantages (other than not having to buy some extract) and/or disadvantages. Does the freezing have any adverse affects on the sugars?

Works fine. Just takes up space in the freezer. Still boil the starter wort for 10 mins or so and make sure it's at at around 1.040.

I freeze wort all the time for starters. I do BIAB, so after mash, drain and squeeze my bag, I'll dunk the bag in a gallon or so of hot water, stir it around and drain and squeeze again. The same would hold true with a mash tun. When your done draining for your brew, just add a little more hot water, stir the hell out of it and drain into a couple tupperware containers. Boil it down a bit to concentrate it if you have to. I use small enough containers to fit in the microwave so I can defrost them, and I always re-boil them before I use it in a starter.

I never though of that, probably because I don't have the space to do it. But, I have been tossing around the idea of canning some starter wort. This is off topic now but I think that boils it in the pressure cooker so you can just take it out and use it. Plus, it doesn't have to suck up space in the freezer.

I can wort all the time. I make my batches 1/2 a gallon too big and pull that out to a separate vessel. While the main wort is chilling, I pour the extra into mason jars and drop them in a pot to boil. By the time the I've pitched my yeast, the canned wort is ready. I label it with th SG and the date. I try to use it in less than 6 months, but have used 2 year old wort on occasion.

Back