Freezing whole grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeycon

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to pick a good quantity of Petit Verdot grapes in a couple of days. The problem is one of a lack of time . Can whole grapes be frozen and later thawed to make a good quality wine?

Every year I freeze grape juice. I pick every grape and then juice it, without getting at the astringency from the green.

I freeze the juice in small plastic bags and take one out when I want to use it. I would say the grape juice is very good and could easily be used for many things. You could do the same and make wine out of it.

I cannoit however tell you if you can freeze the whole grape, but I cannot think of a reason why this will not work.

They freeze nicely. I have ~10 pounds of wild Fox grapes that I picked last month. I also have about 20 pounds of mixed Swenson reds, Valiant and Frontenac. They have been in the freezer for a couple years. I am planning to make wine this winter, when I can regulate the room temp better than in the summer. Mine have always come out very nice. I bring them out in small amounts, so I can sort through and discard any bad ones.

Thank you both for the informative replies. I also read the similar threads section below and learned a lot.

I have an opportunity to pick a good quantity of Petit Verdot grapes in a couple of days. The problem is one of a lack of time .

Leave them as long as you can before picking, they're notorious for how long they take to ripen properly. Even the name means "little green one". Can make some great wine though.

Leave them as long as you can before picking, they're notorious for how long they take to ripen properly. Even the name means "little green one". Can make some great wine though.

I did not know that. I have not had time to get any yet. We have barely missed a couple of killing frosts this season. I will know more on Tuesday if they are still available.

Back