Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushnbugs

Reaction score
Ok so I have a question…

I am as green as they come BUT I am gearing up to make my first batch and give this all a go.

I have a Large chest Freezer in the basement that over the course of the past few months has stopped freezing my stuff solid. So I put in a thermometer and have found that it holds pretty even at 30 degrees. Now this is below freezing BUT will not freeze much of anything in there.

I was going to dump this freezer since I bought a new one but I was wondering if its worth keeping to make into a beer fridge of some sorts?

Your thoughts are welcomed!

Thank you all!

:mug:

Pick up a temperature control module so you can use it as a fermentation chamber or a place to cold crash or keg.

Agreed absolutely keep it. I have a freezer I use as a fermentation chamber. You won't regret keeping it. Control modules can be had reasonably cheap and having ideal temp for fermentation is critical to getting the best tasting beer you can get.

I just wrote an article that will be coming up on love2brew.com this Wednesday on this very topic.

Don't forget the eBay temp controller DIY thread !!! $20 and 15 mins to put together !

Ok so I have a question…

I am as green as they come BUT I am gearing up to make my first batch and give this all a go.

I have a Large chest Freezer in the basement that over the course of the past few months has stopped freezing my stuff solid. So I put in a thermometer and have found that it holds pretty even at 30 degrees. Now this is below freezing BUT will not freeze much of anything in there.

I was going to dump this freezer since I bought a new one but I was wondering if its worth keeping to make into a beer fridge of some sorts?

Your thoughts are welcomed!

Thank you all!

:mug:

I would like to add that it might be help to defrost your freezer to help with your energy costs. Maybe check out the coils, fans, or the pump to make sure they aren't dirty or somehow obstructed. It just seems odd to me that you have a freezer that can't freeze, it could be simply because its parts are worn down or there is something effecting it directly.

Keesh,

I did defrost it and gave it a good old cleaning. When I pulled off the side panel the insides were semi clean, I vacuumed out the dust bunnies which were minimal.

There is a thermostat on the side so I am going to have to plug it back in and turn it to the warmest setting and see where it is.

It is about 8 Years old

Keesh,

I did defrost it and gave it a good old cleaning. When I pulled off the side panel the insides were semi clean, I vacuumed out the dust bunnies which were minimal.

There is a thermostat on the side so I am going to have to plug it back in and turn it to the warmest setting and see where it is.

It is about 8 Years old

Yeah well if its 8 years old then it definitely should be able to perform as a freezer. Play around with the thermostat, if you can get a couple of thermometers and stick em in different places to try and get a feel for how the temp evens out. Give it a day or two to equalize before adjusting it more.

I just can't stabilize this thing where I need it, its either at 30 degrees or 50 degrees which is off really. The basement where it is is a constant 55 degrees.

Any ideas? I adjusted the set screw a few times, gave it a day in between making changes. I have dialed up and down to no avail…Im kinda stumped why I can't get it to settle in on 40 or so? I even unplugged it for a couple days and then started over.

Its either on and freezing or off.

Back