Freezer with tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rzar

Reaction score
I am interested in taking my chest freezer and adding a tower on top of the lid. I am looking at towers and most say "insulated and air cooled". How does that work? The freezer would be in my garage. I live in southern AZ where temps in the garage in the summer get up to 110. Would the tower getting warm be a problem?

Also, do I need a temp controller? Is that to prevent the freezer from you know.. freezing? Something like a Ranco ETC-111000-000.

Insulated and air cooled just means the metal towers has insulation in the inside and the air from the kegerator is what is cooling it. It has no glycol cooling essentially.

In a garage i'd imagine the first pour will be foamy b/c the faucets will be warm since no cold air is really going to naturally flow up into the tower without assistance. Some people on here use cpu fans to blow air into the tower, others run their beer line thru copper tubing that extends for a good bit into the kegerator to keep the lines cold.

Yes you need a temp controller. The ranco will work and is fairly inexpensive.

Sounds like the tower you are looking at comes insulated and with a cooling fan. Most of the commerical taps that i have saw come with some sort of fan that pushes cool air from inside the cooler up to the top of the tower through some sort of piping. Trust me, I live in texas and the cooled tower helps alot.

Latest posts

Back