freezer to fridge, not a good idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
hey everyone,

I know a lot of people here use a chest freezer converted to a fridge for their keg system. Well, I am looking into doing this and when i went to find out more about the conversion, i am seeing a lot of conversations where they are saying that the conversion doesn't/wont last and eventually craps out (HVAC forums, home improvement forums, etc).

Has anyone had an experience like that? I would love to hear what you did and if you have had any trouble with the rig.

Thanks.
Kyle

As long as you don't short cycle the compressor it will last as long as it would as a freezer.

Does "short cycle" mean to run the compressor for a shorter duration than would normally run when working as a freezer? I have a 7 cu ft freezer and a Ranco digital controller. Any tips on how I can avoid short cycling? Should I run as a freezer for a while to try to figure out what is normal for compressor cycle times?

IMO, a freezer will last longer running it at warmer (serving fridge) temps than it would running it as a regular freezer. Seems to me that the compressor would be running much less of the time. I havent' had any of mine croak yet and they have been running this way for a number of years without problems.

I don't short cycle my converted freezer as I see no reason to run it with a tight differential. I'm using a 5 degree differential and that's working just fine. The beer
temp is very stable. I don't think it varies even one degree.

As mentioned above, it's likely mere coincidence. Many of the converted freezers in use as keggerators are older models with high mileage, zero maintenance and often stored unused in less than ideal locations. I wouldn't be concerned at all about premature failure due to using these as we do with external controllers.

So where are some of the best places to find these thermostats? I have seen prices from $32-120. Where did everyone find theirs?

Most of the online home brew suppliers sell them, but from what I've read you can often find them on Ebay for less. Just know exactly what model you are buying if you go the Ebay route. IOW, check out the specifications carefully before you make the purchase. IIRC, the analog controllers go for about $60 and the digital ones for about $80 from the online home brew suppliers. The prices on Ebay are typically all over the place.

i run mine with a 5 degree differential and have the temp sensor immersed in a wine bottle filled with water between the kegs, this gives a much more accurate reading than if the sensor was exposed to the air. my compressor cycle time as a refrigerator is almost what it was as a freezer.

moisture is another story.. water rusting the freezer from the inside can be a real problem if your lid/collar doesn't seal properly or if you open the lid too often. when i converted mine i caulked all of the interior seams with sikaflex polyurethane boat building sealant, which has prevented any rust from starting in my freezer.

i run mine with a 5 degree differential and have the temp sensor immersed in a wine bottle filled with water between the kegs, this gives a much more accurate reading than if the sensor was exposed to the air. my compressor cycle time as a refrigerator is almost what it was as a freezer.

moisture is another story.. water rusting the freezer from the inside can be a real problem if your lid/collar doesn't seal properly or if you open the lid too often. when i converted mine i caulked all of the interior seams with sikaflex polyurethane boat building sealant, which has prevented any rust from starting in my freezer.

Have you ever tried putting in dessicant beads/material? Not just the silica gel beads, but you can get laboratory grade stuff on the cheap. Put a lb or two of it in the bottom and it will immediately soak up any ambient moisture.

Latest posts

Back