freezer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSpunge

Reaction score
I aquired an older upright freezer that i plan on using for a fermentation chamber via a love controler. So today im surfing the web and end up on some site about freezer conversions and read a post buy some guy that says. Not to use the freezers with the cooling shelves and if you do you will be sorry; with no explination. Mine has the cooling shelves. Is this guy wrong? Should i look for another freezer? :guzzle:

He probably mentioned this because if you're putting the fermenters directly on the shelf with the coils in it, they will over-cool the liquid. Can you build or elevate the shelf with something like wood that isn't as conductive of temperature and constantly run a fan to move air around?

Ya that makes sence. Its big enough that i could elevate the carboys with a couple 2x4s or whatever. Hopefully the love controller comes in the mail soon, so i can proceed farther putting old coldey back to work. Should have done this years ago...

If there is not enough room between the shelves for your carboy or bucket to fit, you are going to have to try to bend the shelves out of the way without breaking the cooling lines.

I've read some threads where people have been successful and some where they have not...

If you do this let us know how and how it works.... I have one of those type of freezers in my Garage, but I assumed it would be worthless for this application because of the cooling shelves.

Wouldn't break my heart to turn it into a ferm chamber.

I hope i don't have to bend them I will have to measure tomarow. I want to keep it nice not all hacked up. I did the bendaroo before though on my first kegarator and it worked it was an old fasioned college size fridge that wasnt tall enough to fit my corney.

I will let you no how i turns out next week once i get the controller. I will post a picture of it.

Back