Freezer/HVAC question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malador

Reaction score
How long is too long for a freezer compressor to run?

I have a upright freezer converted into a fermentation chamber. I have short cycle protection, but the freezer runs for a LONG time when pulling temps down for cold crashing. I'm thinking about installing an excessive run lockout.

Let 'er run.
I haven't heard of a compressor duty cycle.

Repeated short cycling will destroy one.

Can you lighten the load by keeping some liquid containers in the fridge at all times? Tucked back in the corners or something.

'da Kid

You should be much more concerned about running the compressor for too short a time than too long. However, an excessive run time may be an indication of a problem with the system (e.g. Low coolant). How long are we talking here?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Run times are can easily get into the hours. I'm usually trying to cool between 12 to 17 gallons of beer plus stainless and/or glass

Adding more liquid to the freezer isn't going to help. It's just going to create more heat the freezer has to remove. Also, the long run times are just because of the amount energy it takes to cool/heat liquids.

Adding more liquid will help once it gets cold. Think of it as a buffer against the incoming warmer objects. The extra liquid helps to compensate by taking on some of the heat load. Yes, the same amount of heat energy still needs to be removed, but the load on the compressor won't be as much initially.

I've done appliance repair for years. Don't worry about long run times. There is a thermal overload on the compressor. You shouldn't trip it if your system is good though. It probably has to be a no frost for these purposes and they generally will stop and defrost once every 6/12 hours depending on the timer and if it only advances when the compressor is running. Some do, some don't.

Bottom line, you don't need to worry about this.

Back