free hydrometers fer me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo71665

Reaction score
Just gloating, bragging, rubbing it in........

My buddy was over tonight asking about all my home brewing toys and noticed my broken hydrometer in the trash. Works in a lab and asks me if I need anymore, of course I say yes. He asked how many and being cheap I asked how many he got. Turns out the lab he works at mainly uses some digital version ( yeah can't get me one of those, I asked) and they threw out 2 cases of glass ones and test tubes. He snatched them up before they got to the trash and been sitting in his shop. Even if they only ship 2 to a case I think I cleaned up but they way he was laughing I got a feeling a case is much much more. Now I just gotta brew him a sixxer and try to talk him out of a digital one. Knowing my luck though its some odd scale I have no use for but nothing else I'll throw them on flea bay and split it with him

Good haul!

I picked up 5 free Hydrometers the other day from a customer. A bunch of other HB stuff as well, but this is about hydromters, right?

As long as they weren't previously used to measure the SG of goat urine mixed with nitric acid and mercury...

Seriously, make sure you know what these things have seen. It's generally good practice to never re-use any lab glassware in the kitchen. For the $10-20 you're saving it's not worth poisoning yourself.

No clue, he lives 4 hours from me. We went to high school together and he stops by when he visits his parents up the road. Only comes down every few months so it'll be awhile. Said he has some other surprises his wife wants gone. Last time that involved almost 6k in 4x4 truck parts (axles and t-cases) after he got out of offroading and his wife wanted a flower bed where his parts pile rested. His donation alone almost built all of my sons 4x4 go cart/ mud buggy. No telling what hell bring down sometimes.

Please brag about your haul also. I'm a cheap arse but also love hearing about others good fortune.

These are supposed to be new in the case never used. Unless the goat hiked his leg on the box I think we safe. Still anything looks funny I won't use it.

As long as they weren't previously used to measure the SG of goat urine mixed with nitric acid and mercury...

Seriously, make sure you know what these things have seen. It's generally good practice to never re-use any lab glassware in the kitchen. For the $10-20 you're saving it's not worth poisoning yourself.

Psh. They're glass, which is nonporous. Goat urine cleans off just fine.

Psh. They're glass, which is nonporous. Goat urine cleans off just fine.

Haha. Seriously though, unless you want to soak them in aqua regia and/or a full strength basebath there's plenty that can stick to glass. But if they're new in boxes it sounds pretty legit!

Some lab hydrometers run a smaller scale e.g. .9 to 1.020
You can make some really small beers now :p

W.G.A.S. if its been used in chemicals? just take a sample to measure gravity in a separate container and don't drink it. you don't have to put the g'damn thing in the fermenter, or inside/on your body. what the hell are you guys using your hydro's for?
ohh noes! its free it must be full of mercury! haha
would be nice to have backups. break one, just grab another from the case. even better free-o-charge.

W.G.A.S. if its been used in chemicals? just take a sample to measure gravity in a separate container and don't drink it. you don't have to put the g'damn thing in the fermenter, or inside/on your body. what the hell are you guys using your hydro's for?
would be nice to have backups. break one, just grab another from the case. even better free-o-charge.

keep-calm-and-why-so-serious-62.png

If you aren't drinking the hydro sample, you're wasting beer! Some of us would rather get poisoned than do that :D

Well too good to be true rules again. I have 225 1.130-1.060 scale hydrometers to unload on flea bay.

Back