Free freezer and now I want storage/lagering/fermentation control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewfreeordie

Reaction score
We bought a new chest freezer for garden and meat storage, so I'm left with a 10yr old, 7cf freezer in excellent shape (my master plan all along!). I've ordered a stc-1000 and an upgraded relay for cold-side control. My priorities are as follows:

1. Beer storage. I want to be able to keep a couple cases cold.
2. Lagering/fermentation control. I don't know what the proper temps are for this which I would imagine would change every recipe.

My thought was to get a second control. One would be used just to maintain a proper storage temp for drinkable beer which I imagine would be close to low-end lagering temps. I would then section the freezer with some foam board to insulate the fermenting carboys(s). I would probably use a heat belt to augment natural heat gain from fermentation, and if it got too hot a small low-voltage circulating fan would kick on and circulate air from the cold storage side to lower the temperature.

Yeah, I know it's stupidly complicated, but I don't have the room for another freezer. I also don't want another compressor running if it isn't needed. Should I make room for another freezer and wait till I can score a free one, has anyone else bothered with this and been happy with the outcome?

Much appreciated.

It's probably doable, as long as all of your beers are ales, and as long as you can figure out which side of the freezer has the majority of the cooling.

Fat-fingered...

If ales, the fermenters go on the warm side (preferably about 65-60F) and your beers to serve are on the cool side (about 50 or 55 depending on style). If you're able to get that sort of temperature difference, you're golden. If the freezer is too evenly chilled, not so.

Lagers would be tough as you need three temperature zones - fermentation, lagering, and serving.

I'd be pushing my luck with 3 zones but you never know. I guess it would be easier with a vertical chiller that had the blower on the bottom. Problem with the chest freezer is the coils go all the way around. I'm still going to try it with some foam board. What kind of heat does lagering yeast give off? I'm guessing its the same per reaction but slower over-all.

Maybe two. serving and and laggering are close to one another, but from what I understand you move the temp around for different times/recipes. Can you damage a beer at serving temp by moving the temp around 10 degrees?

I ended up buying a second fridge for 50 bucks (Pepsi fridge with a brand new compressor and fan) then putting a controller on it. Total cost was about $80 for a 2nd fridge that will hold 50F and 2 carboys. Too much but what the hey. Now I've got a chest freezer for serving temps and lagering, then a fermentation chamber.

Latest posts

Back