free cider soon to be hard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliebrown52

Reaction score
OK so I run the kitchen at a place called dinosaur barbque, so the other day I got in a case of apple cider and all the gallon jugs were bulging so we opened one try ed it and it had just started to ferment so I call my supplier and he says I'll give credit for it and that he doesn't want it back "toss it" he says so I decided I'd bring it home throw it in the carboy and see what happens, i added to packets of champagne yeast and it is sitting at about 60° what should I expect the results to be ???

OK so I run the kitchen at a place called dinosaur barbque, so the other day I got in a case of apple cider and all the gallon jugs were bulging so we opened one try ed it and it had just started to ferment so I call my supplier and he says I'll give credit for it and that he doesn't want it back "toss it" he says so I decided I'd bring it home throw it in the carboy and see what happens, i added to packets of champagne yeast and it is sitting at about 60° what should I expect the results to be ???

It depends on what yeast or bacteria have taken hold. It's already started, so the odds are that the champagne yeast will not be the dominant yeast strain. But with wild fermentations, you never can tell. It might be awesome. It might smell like dirty gym socks.

Only one way to find out- wait and see!

First - Dinosaur BBQ - yum. Which location?

Second, I've done small batches of cider with wild yeast. My experience was pretty good. Early on the cider was delicious, but it degraded pretty quickly. It got progressively drier and more sour. Personally, I'd drink it young. Your yeast probably won't do much since the wild yeast took hold before you pitched the champagne yeast. Good luck.

I did think the Yeats I added was kind of redundant but I did to packages for just over 5 gals thought maybe there would be enough to take over, it did taste decent right now just a little fizzy we will see how it goes

I am the Kitchen director for the dinosaur barbque in Syracuse the original

I'll be up there for Syracuse vs Miami in three weeks. Maybe I'll see ya!

Only been to Syracuse once. 2.5 hour wait on a Sunday night. It was well worth it. :D

I go to Rochester a lot, and now we have one in Buffalo.

I have a beer question for you. Who makes the Ape Hanger Ale? I love that stuff.

I was in Buffalo assisting and training during the opening I also ran the kitchen in the Rochester dinosaur for awhile ape hanger ale is made by middle ages brewing a Syracuse brewery located about 2 blocks from the Syracuse dinosaur the owner and brew master mark is a regular at the restaurant and he his a very interesting guy

Good to hear there's CNYers here. I'm from Baldwinsville, living in Fulton.

No I'm newly back to the area I am going to my first salt city brew club meeting this week ( brew club out of syracuse) so i will ask around see if there's a interest

OK so an update....the cider stopped bubbling about a week ago so I let it sit and sampled it tasted OK but also not sure how it should taste, so 3 days ago I added 5 # of honey and with in a few hours it kicked back up and is visibly fermenting, smells like caramel, how long after fermentation stops should I age it to be drinkable and should I rack it? And when should I rack?? Thanks in advance

Based on your wild yeast and the late addition of sugars, if I were you id take a hydrometer reading now and get some idea of when it will be finished.

As far as aging, like others said, drinking it young might be best, from what I have read, using wild yeast can end up bringing out interesting flavors after a while. Could be good could be bad... If I were you, I would sample it every week or so and see when its to your liking and drink up?

Update, pulled out of the carboy today and kegged it, gravity was 1.028, I estimate that the cider was about 1.050 plus the 5 pounds of honey should have brought it up to 1.085 puts the abv at about 7% it has a good flavor up front pretty tart but has a bitter after taste almost like the f ml avor of a lime peel, it's definitely not vingear so that's a plus so what should I do leave it in the keg to age or add more yeast and see if it will go any lower as 1.028 seems high to me

Latest posts

Back