Framboise "clone" recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barc, i have read that too. HOW they stop fermentation is the big mystery to me. Any ideas?

As to the mouthfeel, I made an Irish Stout that I kegged 2 weeks ago. Coming out of the fermenter at 1.018 it was quite thick. This was very much more thin in body that I expected, considering that I used the same amount of cara pils and malto dextrine to try to up the body like I had done on the Irish Stout. They were worlds apart "straight out of the fermenter".

Don't get hung up on the fact that this is like any other lambic. The fermenation might stop on its own, at least partially, but I'm not 100% sure of the exact method. I am almost positive it has sulfites in it so it probably has a dose of campden (potassium or sodium metabisulfite) just in case the pasteurizing does not 100% kill everything. Keep in mind that it has sugar syrup in there and this syrup adds a lot to the mouthfeel and "thickness." Additionally, they are pretty well carbonated so that adds to the mouthfeel.

After talking with folks at Cantillon and other breweries in Belgium, I can tell you that they say Lindemans and other "sweet lambic" producers don't do anything like traditional lambic producers so far as fermentation and handling goes.

After talking with folks at Cantillon and other breweries in Belgium, I can tell you that they say Lindemans and other "sweet lambic" producers don't do anything like traditional lambic producers so far as fermentation and handling goes.

Jean-Pierre Van Roy hates Lindemans with a passion, though; he's not exactly unbiased in judging them.

Certainly the Cuvee Rene offerings from Lindemans have are pretty traditional, so they know _how_ to make a traditional lambic. And Lindemans' web site describes a fairly traditional process (30% wheat; turbid mash; aged hops; spontaneous fermentation; etc) even for their "less sour and more fruity Lambic" krieks and the like. http://www.lindemans.be/start/lambik/en/?PHPSESSID=76e8b7722446cdc0ecd3a455eb5fce8c

The translation there is a bit awkward and I'm not sure I take them at 100% face value either, so I'm not really sure what's the case.

Agreed. He did seem to be a bit biased!

And also agreed. They know how to make it traditionally. I doubt, however, the sweetened ones are done with that much care / time. If I was making a beer only to be sweetened to hell and back, I doubt I'd do it 100% traditionally as you'd lose so much of what you're after and, in that regard, why bother? I do taste some funk in there. How much is up for debate. Maybe they use a portion of "new" beer and then some small percentage of "aged" beer?

I do want to update a bit. :) The beer is very raspberry. Its also very high alcohol. It finished out at about 1.007-1.008, Couldn't tell exactly. I bottled 3 Framboise bottles full, carbonated to 4.0 units with table sugar (had no corn sugar on hand). And we plan to drink these within about 3 weeks when they're "done" being the test batch. I have a few pics I'll upload when I get home. The beer is not quite as red as framboise but it sure has that raspberry bite to it.

:drunk:

Just kegged it 9 days ago. Yes it is the batch I made wayyyyy back when I posted this, NO there was no yeast death. This sat on the cake for over 4 years. It was incredible. I will be making this again.

Back