Four weeks into my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MimersMead

Reaction score
My first brew was a Muntons Pale ale kit, and everything seemed to go pretty good with the brew. I completely forgot to get the OG, and the airlock never bubbled, but a current hydrometer reading hits 1.010

Thing is, it's been sitting in the primary for 4 weeks now, and it's still pretty cloudy. I'm wondering if I should leave it in the primary for a bit longer, or bottle it and try again?

Pale ale.jpg

I'm pretty new to this as well, but with your gravity being 1.010 I'd say bottle it and sit on it for 3 weeks and then see how it looks.

Aww, four weeks? Man, wish I waited that long in bulk with my first brew. Bottle, and after three weeks send a few to the fridge for 2 or (preferably) more days in the fridge. After that I bet it'll be clear and carbed. Remember to decant and leave a bit of the sediment rich beer at the bottom if you want a nice pretty pour. Get brewing because 48 beers go fast and you might find that commercial brew just doesn't do it anymore.

I would gently agitate the bucket. pick it up by the handle and gently twist left and right a few times, like a washing machine. this will stir up your yeast and make sure they eat anything else left behind. just try not to slosh it around to avoid oxidation. then give it another day or two and take another reading.

My munton's bock kit was sitting at 1.010 for a while, then I did the agitation like I mentioned, and it dropped a few more points over a couple days.

A 4 week primary is pretty good. Congrats on letting it go that long. It's fine that it's a bit cloudy still, so don't worry. You can let it sit another week or two in there if you want, but it's also probably ready to be bottled so you can go that route as well. The beer will really clear once the bottles hit the fridge, so don't get too hung up on the clarity at this point.

like marubozo said, don't worry about the clarity right now. You can let it sit on the yeast for a few weeks more which will help make a cleaner beer as the yeast will still be clearing out fermentation byproducts and then cold crash to clear it out. Or you can bottle it up now and the over time it will clear in the bottle.

Got it bottled two days ago, managed to get 48 bottles out of it. No bottle bombs as of yet, so I think I did alright. I'm going to let it go for 3 weeks, then stick it in the fridge.

On to the next one :p

Back