Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone brewed this at lower then normal ABV? I am thinking of doing it at about 6%. I bottle my beer and I want it to be carbed up and drinkable by Christmas. I can't brew it until the first of December that is why the slightly rushed timeline. Any advice on the chocolate and coffee additions? Cut them back, do the normal amount, anything is helpful thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Use cacao nibs and vanilla for chocolate flavor. Much better milk chocolateyness than cocoa powder.

For the coffee, I highly recommend using whole beans in the primary. I've been telling everyone I can about this. Seriously the single best way to get great coffee aroma and flavor in your beer. Easier and more effective than cold steep.

I give more details in this shoot-off breakfast stout recipe
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/f...-coffee-oatmeal-maple-imperial-stout-496504/

For a lower abv, might want to cut back the crystal more than other malts since you won't need as large a proportion to balance the high OG

Has anyone brewed this at lower then normal ABV? I am thinking of doing it at about 6%. I bottle my beer and I want it to be carbed up and drinkable by Christmas. I can't brew it until the first of December that is why the slightly rushed timeline. Any advice on the chocolate and coffee additions? Cut them back, do the normal amount, anything is helpful thanks.

25 days grain to glass is a bit rushed for this beer when bottling even lowering the gravity.

My last version was only around 5%. I was shooting for a little higher, but my FG was higher than expected at 1.023. I used Beer Smith to lower the OG to 1.061, so that could be why my FG was higher. Beer still tastes great to me.

I kegged after 20 days (9 primary; 11 days coffee additon into primary). Drinking 5 days later. With bottling, you might be able to get away with 5 days primary, 5 days secondary, 14 days in the bottle, 1 day in the fridge, but it's a bit rushed.

Yeah I know I am rushing it but I figured it is worth it. I only plan on having a few at Christmas I am not looking for best flavor (that I know can take months for certain stouts) just good and fully carbed.

Use cacao nibs and vanilla for chocolate flavor. Much better milk chocolateyness than cocoa powder.

For the coffee, I highly recommend using whole beans in the primary. I've been telling everyone I can about this. Seriously the single best way to get great coffee aroma and flavor in your beer. Easier and more effective than cold steep.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/f...-coffee-oatmeal-maple-imperial-stout-496504/

For a lower abv, might want to cut back the crystal more than other malts since you won't need as large a proportion to balance the high OG

Thanks for the advice. The link is really helpful.

Thanks for the advice. The link is really helpful.

Yeah I know I am rushing it but I figured it is worth it. I only plan on having a few at Christmas I am not looking for best flavor (that I know can take months for certain stouts) just good and fully carbed.

I think you'll be alright. I've found if you treat the yeast right and minimize off flavors, even imperial stouts and stuff can be very tasty in less than a month from pitching. The more off flavors you get, the longer it'll take to fade.

That being said, I always do regret drinking too many stouts porters and string Belgians early on

This looks like an awesome recipe... Anyone done a mid-primary maple addition? I'm curious how going "full breakfast" would effect the end product.

This looks like an awesome recipe... Anyone done a mid-primary maple addition? I'm curious how going "full breakfast" would effect the end product.

Did you see my link a few posts up? That is literally what i suggested.
Maple chocolate vanilla oatmeal coffee. Full on breakfast. Just needs bacon

That is hilarious, saw the suggestion echoing what I had heard about whole beans after the boil (brewed this up today, doing a whole bean coffee addition in secondary)... Totally glazed over the rest and didn't follow the link :)

Great minds (or we were both hungry)!

And now after following the link I realize you're is the first oatmeal breakfast stout recipe I saw, which led me to this thread, which made me think about your thread, and adding maple to this recipe and using whole beans during fermentation.

I should have just stuck with yours, that's my next brew :)

Omg carwful or you might end up brewing a paradoxical infinite loop of coffee oatmeal stouts

Great recipe. For the coffee/chocolate additions I used 2.5oz of cocoa at flame out. I stirred it around with my immersion chiller as it cooled. After the wort cooled down, I let things settle for 15-20 minutes. I hardly transferred cocao into the fermentor. Fermented at 66 for 3 days. Bumped it up to 68 for a couple days, then set it to 70 until day 12. Transferred to a secondary on top of the cocoa nibs and 4oz of whole beans. Kegged 2 days later. I used a carbonator cap to carb up a pint after we kegged. Tasted great. The coffee really came through, no off flavors or hot alcohol. If you have precise temperature control, pitch the right amount of yeast and sanitize, you can have this beer ready in 3 weeks. I'd be curious to know how long Founders takes to turn this beer around. Anyone know?

I think I remember hearing 2 months but don't quote me on that. I've seen cellar aged versions of FBS on sale at various stores at a slight markup. I tried one and it is noticeably smoother. Ive got a 6 pack of a maple breakfast stout still left that's nearing a year old, but yeah mine was very sippable at less than a month old

I did the 2oz steep with a Starbucks coffee at 5 min then left it steep for 30 min and bottled a week ago no additional coffee at bottling and tried one tonight and it was awesome. Needs another week of Carb but no astringency from the steep as others have reported. Tried it against the real thing and they're very close.

The astringency usually starts coming through after a month or two. Ive had it get bad enough that I tossed my last dozen of an oatmeal brown which I first used coffee in.

I'd be curious to know how long Founders takes to turn this beer around. Anyone know?

I saw on Twitter that Founders was brewing Breakfast Stout in the first week of September and the first bottles I saw were bottled the first week of October, so about 3 to 4 weeks is what it seems to be for them.

I was inspired by this recipe and kinda tweeked it a little to my tastes. This is the results.

Breakfast Stout v2.0

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.94 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.24 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 4.75 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

6 lbs 8.0 oz Organic Pale Malt (2 Row) US
6 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter
16.0 oz Organic Chocolate Malt
1 lbs Oats, Flaked
12.0 oz Organic Roasted Barley
9.0 oz De-Bittered Black Malt (Dingemans)
7.0 oz Organic Crystal 120, 2-Row, (Great Western)
1.50 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Willamette [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
1.00 oz Willamette [5.00 %]
2.0 pkg Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 12 -
8.00 oz Cocao nibs 6oz Peru and 2oz Nicaragua (Secondary 0.0 mins) Flavor 13 -
4.00 Cup Raleigh cold brew (Secondary 0.0 mins) Flavor 14 days

Beer has very big smooth coffee flavor rounded with chocolate finish, a little thin but makes it more drinkable in the long run. Also has nice silky mouthfeel. Only been a month in bottles, hoping it becomes more complex and I get a little caramel as it ages and the coffee takes a backseat, but still very tasty as is now.

Thanks for all the information from this thread.

Again I gotta thank everyone in this thread... All the info I got from it, lead me to getting this in the mail today :)
30x78ft.jpg

What's up people? I am going to give this recipe a shot bit just want to clear up the coffee additions do I cold brew a poor of coffee then add 2 oz or do I add a pot made using 2 oz of coffee.

I brewed this back in July and I had the opportunity to do a side by side taste comparison last Friday with FBS. It was so close my wife an I had a hard time telling them apart (I'll have to mark the glasses next time). The only difference was maybe a slightly more chocolate aroma coming from the FBS. Other than that than that the recipe I brewed was spot on.

Here is the recipe with the slight variations I made:

16 lbs. American 2-row
1 lbs American Chocolate Malt
.75 lbs Roasted Barley
9 oz American Black Patent
7 oz Crystal Malt 120°L
22 oz Oats Flaked

.5 oz Nugget (Whole, 13.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 30 min.
.5 oz Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 2 min.

2.5 oz Dark bittersweet baker's chocolate at 15 mins. (Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bar)
1.5 oz Unsweetened chocolate baking nibs at 15 mins. (Ghana Cacao Nibs)
2 oz Ground Starbucks Sumatran coffee after chilling/before yeast (Cold Brewed)
2 oz of Ghana Cacao nibs with 6-8 oak cubes (American medium-plus toast) soaked in Maker’s Mark Whiskey for 1 week - added 2 weeks before bottling
2 oz Ground Kona coffee (Hula Girl 100% Kona Coffee) cold brewed, added to bottling bucket before bottling
Yeast - 2 pkg. DCL Yeast Safale S-04 Top Quality Ale Yeast (used yeast starter)

Mashed at 155F for 60 mins. 1.33 qt/lb

I really like how this recipe sounds. I sent you a message with some questions about it. Hopefully I can brew this soon

You can ask us all too. Might get more responses that way.

More responses = more differing opinions... both a blessing and a curse for us folks who can't make up our damn minds :D

Although I wasn't the one who posted that, I do have a question. I read most of this thread but I may have missed it. When people cold brew coffee to add during secondary or bottling, do you pour the whole amount of liquid in? If so, how much water do people generally use for 2 oz. of coffee to cold brew?

I've seen people add just enough to cover the coffee and have like 1/2" on top. But seriously, try the whole bean additions. Takes less time and effort but more importantly, is more effective

We went with the whole bean idea for our take on this recipe. The sample we drank before bottling was OUT OF THIS WORLD! With mellowing, this might be a huge success!

I just did the whole bean addition today as well. Going to try it in a few days to see if it is ready to bottle. Did the cold brewed coffee before and didn't like it as much. Hoping this works better.

I've seen people add just enough to cover the coffee and have like 1/2" on top. But seriously, try the whole bean additions. Takes less time and effort but more importantly, is more effective

Is the whole bean process just like it sounds?

Put 2oz of whole bean coffee into the beer? Simple as that?

Is it more effective in the primary, secondary, mash or in the boil?

Is the whole bean process just like it sounds?

Put 2oz of whole bean coffee into the beer? Simple as that?

Is it more effective in the primary, secondary, mash or in the boil?

Yeah, just toss in whole beans into the primary. As long as they are from a sealed bag, I've had no problems with sanitation. Some people will use a hop bag, but I;ve found the beans are too big to clog up any siphoning equipment so I just toss them in.

For reference, I've been doing 4oz for stouts/porters and I did 3oz for a blonde coffee ale. I leave them for 3-7 days depending on how much flavor you want.

You can ask us all too. Might get more responses that way.

Def. love the help on here. My questions toward his recipe were more how he exactly did 1 or 2 things and how long he let something sit. So I didn't think the community could comment on his exact process since only he knows how long and what he did. But I'm sure you/community could of given me a good guess on what his process was.
He has not responded yet . I'll give it another week before I open up the questions to the community for discussions.

SO I have read somewhere that if roasted cocoa nibs are used in the secondary it will bring out more of the choclate flavor. My question is how long would you leave it in the secondary. I know about sampling, but I just would like a one or two comments on what others have done

Has anyone used this with success? View attachment 242781
I thought I read somewhere in this thread that people were using this, but I can't remember.

I have a Similar question.

I have read through many pages on this thread and a few people said DON"T use bakers chocolate as it still has some oils/fat that will leave a film on your beer and hurt head retention. I have seen some people say to boil the chocolate before hand and then put it in the freezer to separate the fat and chocolate.

I also came across this article that mentions the same thing.
http://archive.maltosefalcons.com/tech/styleseries/chocolateporter.php

The original recipe to this thread has you putting bakers chocolate into the boil @15min.

So has anyone had bad results with bakers chocolate ??

On the flip side do we have a lot of people with good results using bakers chocolate? If so how much, what kind and when did you add it?

I would strongly recommend against using actual chocolate. Chocolate is like over 50% cocoa butter. Thats BUTTER, you do not want that in your beer. You take a gamble as the how everything settles in your kettle and how you transfer. If you end up with some of that cocoa butter in your fermentor, you will have a layer of oil sitting atop your wort. That really can mess up fermentation. I've heard a few successes, but more horror stories. Stick with cocoa powder or cacao nibs with vanilla beans to round out the flavor

Did my first 3 gallon batch of this today. 4.5 gallon boil in a 8 gallon pot is usually no big deal. This was my first beer of this size (OG) and complexity, I must say that hot break just kept comin! I will have the fermacap(?) stuff handy next time.

I would strongly recommend against using actual chocolate. Chocolate is like over 50% cocoa butter. Thats BUTTER, you do not want that in your beer. You take a gamble as the how everything settles in your kettle and how you transfer. If you end up with some of that cocoa butter in your fermentor, you will have a layer of oil sitting atop your wort. That really can mess up fermentation. I've heard a few successes, but more horror stories. Stick with cocoa powder or cacao nibs with vanilla beans to round out the flavor

Cocoa nibs are where cocoa butter comes from. They contain all of the fat of cocoa butter.

Back