Found some hops at a nice price online

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a farce. The d-bag wasn't keeping up with his inventory on the website, now he's backing out of a bunch of the sales. Chump.

oh dont say that.......

I just ordered a lb of Fuggles and Hallertau

oh dont say that.......

I just ordered a lb of Fuggles and Hallertau

Well, expect an e-mail from him shortly explaining that he's only got certain varieties and that they're $3/oz and that there's a 5oz limit per variety. :(

You guys need to pick up the phone and call before placing orders.

I didn't even bother...I figured it was fishy from the get go. But regardless, mf'ers shouldn't have to call to verify online prices...kinda defeats the purpose of online shopping.

I didn't bother either. It looked way too fishy. But if you want to know the real deal, talk to a real person. It's useless counting on the internet to do your homework for you. The phone number was right there.

Well, expect an e-mail from him shortly explaining that he's only got certain varieties and that they're $3/oz and that there's a 5oz limit per variety. :(

Yea I thought it was too good to be true. I can find lbs for 22 bucks but not even close to the variety he said he had.

Oh well, we will start seeing hops coming down in price and much more variety available compared to what we are seeing now

And are you happy with today's results?

99.9% of my online shopping experiences go without a hitch and without needing to call someone to verify anything. Does that mean that the .01% should cause a paradigm shift in how I roll? No.

No, but when you see something that is obviously out of whack, you need to use your head. There is no way this guy had 44 lb bales of all these hops.

If you want to waste your time and call every website before placing an order, well go right ahead.

I expect websites to be updated and reflect what is and is not available. Ill never buy from this dude again if I dont get this. his loss not mine.

Not like hes going to keep my money

No, but when you see something that is obviously out of whack, you need to use your head. There is no way this guy had 44 lb bales of all these hops.

and why not? new shipments should be coming in right now from NZs harvest.

I'm wondering how many of us got a full order filled? As in, no email about 5oz orders and crap.

I think my order was a freak streak of luck.

If you want to waste your time and call every website before placing an order
It's not about calling every website, because I certainly don't. But when something looks too good to be true, which this situation did in bright neon lights, you should take extra steps to check out the situation rather than handing out your money up front.

It's not about calling every website, because I certainly don't. But when something looks too good to be true, which this situation did in bright neon lights, you should take extra steps to check out the situation rather than handing out your money up front.

I don't think anyone handed their money out up front (I didn't order any so I can't say for sure)...it seems to me like this guy didn't fill the orders or charge the cards of the people who he sent emails to.

I don't understand your point, unless you think that he filled the entire orders at $3/oz and charged the cards like that...which quite obviously didn't happen.

So the buyers' failure to call first cost them nothing but dashed hopes.

Today. Just don't let hop hysteria cloud your judgment. That's my point. There's lot's of time tested sayings about people and money, things to good to be true, not believing what you see, etc. Doing your homework is your best choice when things don't look right. The quickest option here was to call the place and see what's up. It's a sad day when we can type crap back and forth all day and take faith in a piece of machinery but won't talk to a person directly when it's all too easy.

You guys need to pick up the phone and call before placing orders.

I actually did call before placing an order just because I thought it was ridiculous. Whoever answered the phone said that he didn't have anything to do with the online store. I asked if he knew if the information on the site was correct and he said as far as he knew... I guess he didn't know too much about it though huh... I guess I should have tried to find out who actually fills the online orders

Internet shopping is usually far more successful and accurate than over the phone. Humans constantly make mistakes, computers seldom do. In this case, a human failed to keep track of his inventory.

I don't think anyone handed their money out up front (I didn't order any so I can't say for sure)...it seems to me like this guy didn't fill the orders or charge the cards of the people who he sent emails to.

I don't understand your point, unless you think that he filled the entire orders at $3/oz and charged the cards like that...which quite obviously didn't happen.

I paid with PayPal, so I was charged in advance. To his credit, my requested refund was promptly posted to my account.

I don't think he's a scammer, just a spectacularly bad businessman who doesn't know how to properly setup or maintain a commerce website. Too bad, he's irritated the wrong crowd.

Not true. This ********* charged my card already and I got the email. I have tried calling multiple times today and always get an answering machine. I did call yesterday before I ordered and I talked to the same dud as the poster below who said that he didn't have anything to do with online orders.

I just sent this dude a nasty email telling him that if he's going to sell online and enforce purchase limitations that he needs to update his freaking website. I told him to either fill my order as I made it or cancel it and reverse my charge immediately.

I have no interest in 5 oz of hops at $3/oz. I can get them cheaper than that from places that I know will actually fill my orders.

Isn't there a 'crappy vendor' thread around here somewhere that we can add this guy to soon? If there isn't one then there should be. I don't see this ending well.

Not true. This ********* charged my card already and I got the email. I have tried calling multiple times today and always get an answering machine. I did call yesterday before I ordered and i talked to the same dud as the poster below whoe said that he didn't have anything to do with online orders.

I just sent this dude a nasty email telling him that if he's goinig to sell online and ennforce purchase limitations that he needs to update his freaking website. I told him to either fill my order as I made it or cancel it and reverse my charge immediately.

I have no interest in 5 oz of hops at $3/oz. I can get them cheaper than that from placecs that I know will actually fill my orders.

Isn't there a 'crappy vendor' thread around here somewhere that we cann add this guy to soon? If there isn't one then there should be. I don't see this ending well.

File a dispute with your credit card to get the cash back and keep the hops.

I sent an email requesting for him to cancel my order; he has tried in 3 emails to keep me from canceling my order. If the shipping wasn't $20 I might at least consider buying something.

edit: He just canceled the order

I just received this response from them:

I certainly do appreciate your input. It is not always the easiest thing
keeping the website synchronized with the HOP industry. But, I do agree it
has somewhat caused me a maintenance night mare. I have many orders and I am
usually able to come up with something satisfactory. Of course, it is always
nice to bump into someone like yourself to do business with. I will do my
best to help you with your order. I am sure you know how tough the hop
business is now given your experience in the Homebrew world. We have
actually modified our website to state what is available and what is not
available in regards to and as related to the HOP Shortage. Unfortunately, I
think you are one of the customers that may have either missed the
information or possibly placed your order prior to our updating the site
with the most accurrate and current information. I am certainly not looking
for a bad review anywhere. I don't think you will find one for us either. We
truly do our best to please everyone. We can't always please everyone but we
certainly try and we are not always successful. I hope you understand.
Here is what I can provide you at this time in Pellets.
Crystal - 5oz
Centennial - 5oz
Saaz - 5oz
Liberty - 3oz
Millenium - 2oz
Willamette - 5oz
Gelina -3oz
Cascade -5oz
Phoenix -2oz
Fuggel Domestic - 5oz
Kent Golding -5oz
Challenger - 2oz
Bramling - 3oz
I will give them to you for $2.50 per oz.
If this is acceptable please let me know.
Thanks!
I really appreciate your input and welcome your feedback!
Best regards,
Tom

Certainly not what I wanted, but at least he admitted that it was his mistake and that the website has now been updated stating that orders may not be able to be filled.

I told him to cancel my order and reverse the cc charge. if he does so quickly, I'll have no issue with this place.

I just received this response from them:

Certainly not what I wanted, but at least he admitted that it was his mistake and that the website has now been updated stating that orders may not be able to be filled.

I told him to cancel my order and reverse the cc charge. if he does so quickly, I'll have no issue with this place.

HAHAHAHHAHA $2.50 /oz.. just like everyone else on the planet.....

Internet shopping is usually far more successful and accurate than over the phone. Humans constantly make mistakes, computers seldom do. In this case, a human failed to keep track of his inventory.
I'm not debating methods, and I stated earlier I don't call every person I deal with over the internet, and I order art and jewelery from around the globe. I'm just saying when something doesn't look right, be diligent.

Not true. This ********* charged my card already and I got the email. I have tried calling multiple times today and always get an answering machine. I did call yesterday before I ordered and I talked to the same dud as the poster below who said that he didn't have anything to do with online orders.

I just sent this dude a nasty email telling him that if he's going to sell online and enforce purchase limitations that he needs to update his freaking website. I told him to either fill my order as I made it or cancel it and reverse my charge immediately.

I have no interest in 5 oz of hops at $3/oz. I can get them cheaper than that from places that I know will actually fill my orders.

Isn't there a 'crappy vendor' thread around here somewhere that we can add this guy to soon? If there isn't one then there should be. I don't see this ending well.

That's a different story then. Guess what, Mister *****ie, you just lost a dickload of potential business. What a dumb bastard.

That's a different story then. Guess what, Mister *****ie, you just lost a dickload of potential business. What a dumb bastard.

I would have been willing to pay a bit more for the quantities that I ordered, as I understand that the pinch the hop shortage has put suppliers in... but 2 oz of this, 3 oz of that - no thanks, pal.

I would have been willing to pay a bit more for the quantities that I ordered, as I understand that the pinch the hop shortage has put suppliers in... but 2 oz of this, 3 oz of that - no thanks, pal.

yeah, that's trash...ugh. Sorry dude.

Damn, think posting this thread was a bad thing for most people, also should have ordered WAY more hops while their guard was down.

I am hitting the web hard to find another site like this one to buy more hops.
I know there is one out there, just gotta hammer hard to get it.

Just got my email. Oh well, no harm no foul

But I bet that guy is really wishing he had kept an updated website. I wonder how much $$$ he has had to refund today

I think it's pretty tough for generally small LHBS to do the right thing in this fast paced interwebs world. You have people telling the guy that he's crazy for not having a website and selling mail order to open up his customer base, but then he really can't hire someone to run that leg of the business because it's so cost prohibitive and competitive. I'm not trying to bail him out by any means, but I'm saying that there are probably 100 shops online that really aren't capable of supporting that business.

Well, he is trying to make up for it, I just got another e-mail offering a 10% discount on another order....

Based on what others have said, and upon the lengthy, detailed emails I've recieved, this guy certainly cares about his business! Still, I don't think he realizes yet just how screwed up his website is, and he's rather defensive. While he's made changes and added disclaimers, I can still go on and order a pound of hops for $2 less than three ounces of hops! As long as his site is this buggy, he's going to have problems.

He also defended the $20 shipping charges, saying they are calculated by UPS. However, when I enter the appropriate zipcodes into the UPS calculator (figuring a generous 4lb total weight to ship 3lb of hops) I get $13.00.

I'm not going to beat him up any further, he's clearly got enough to deal with. Still, I can't imagine every ordering anything from him with any confidence that I'd actually receive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back