Found Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
I have not bottled beer in over 2 1/2 years, but just found 5 bottles in my kitchen pantry...not sure what they could be. Does anyone think they'll still be good?

As long as the seal on the bottle is good, I would think so. Pop one open and see.. if it smells OK give it a taste.

More than likely, they won't kill you. And if they do... well... we all gotta go sometime.

:rockin:

Ike

Long as it goes pshhhht! when you open it, it shouldn't kill you. Heck, if it's something dark and/or strong, it may be fabulous!

Hopefully it doesn't take 2 1/2 years to get a tasting report.

It's the 4th now... 2 days later. I think the beer in the fridge is as cold as it's ever going to get. Try it and let us know!

I put a case and a half of beer that had an off flavor (off enough that I couldn't drink it) in my cousins basement to see if it would age out the off flavor. 10 months later I retrieved them, chilled a couple, popped one open, slight psst when opened. Not as bad as they were originally, but still an aftertaste I can only describe as "bleah". I'll give them another few months, but I'm not optimistic. The off flavor I believe was the result of too high ferment temperature.

Time heals many wounds, I believe this is true of yeast and beer in general. I once mashed 3 pounds of black malt to much because my 2 year old decided to help. It tasted like charcoal, 6 mounths later it was ok and a year later it was pretty good.

I drank homebrew that was ~5 years old in Sept. of last year. My dad brewed it and gave it to me with all of his equipment (quit drinking/brewing).

Most had turned to vinegar, one was ok, but not good.

Never thought to make a thread, because I was all "Hey, look... old beer, wonder what that tastes like?"

*PSHHHT*

"Uh, not great... pretty gross actually."

*PSHHHT*

"Ick."

*PSHHTT*

"My dad sucked at brewing."

*PSHHTTTTTFH*

"Meh, this one is ok."

How's that guys? That hold you over for a bit?

I drank homebrew that was ~5 years old in Sept. of last year. My dad brewed it and gave it to me with all of his equipment (quit drinking/brewing).

Most had turned to vinegar, one was ok, but not good.

Never thought to make a thread, because I was all "Hey, look... old beer, wonder what that tastes like?"

*PSHHHT*

"Uh, not great... pretty gross actually."

*PSHHHT*

"Ick."

*PSHHTT*

"My dad sucked at brewing."

*PSHHTTTTTFH*

"Meh, this one is ok."

How's that guys? That hold you over for a bit?

That'll do pig. That'll do.

No no I'm not dead...the last beer that I can remember bottling was a Belgian Dubble so I'm waiting for the weekend to crack one open.

I brewed a Winter Warmer ale in November 2011, I don't know if it had off flavors to start with or just required aging. It took 6 months to become decent. 1 year to become good and I drank the last in Feb, 2015. It was still good.

No no I'm not dead...the last beer that I can remember bottling was a Belgian Dubble so I'm waiting for the weekend to crack one open.

At least a dubbel is a style that lends itself well to aging.

It may be a little oxidized, but if the original beer was drinkable, this should be decent too.

The first beer I ever brewed was an Irish Stout kit in the winter of 2010, the kit and equipment had been a Christmas gift. After being bottle two weeks, I tried one, one of the worst beers I've ever had. Put two cases in a closet and 6 months later I had a pretty decent beer. I still have about 10 bottles from that batch, I periodically put one in the fridge and enjoy it five and a half years later.

I have six bottles of mead carefully sealed and buried in my back yard until the day that my first born is 21. He is 9 yo this saturday.

Cooky perhaps, but will be a cool activity for him in 12 more years.

Did the same for my second son. He is 6 years old.

I can see it now.. Gila out in his back yard.. wife screaming at him from the porch. Holes EVERYWHERE. "I know it's out here somewhere"

:eek::D

I have six bottles of mead carefully sealed and buried in my back yard until the day that my first born is 21. He is 9 yo this saturday.

Cooky perhaps, but will be a cool activity for him in 12 more years.

Did the same for my second son. He is 6 years old.

Just don't go moving and forget about them.

So this one is not a Belgian ale as I had originally thought, it is a brown ale, it was still carbonated, and it was F$&king delicious! It was actually better tasting then I remember! It makes me want to brew more bottle them and store them. Too bad I live in Florida and don't have a basement or cellar. I am getting a pool put in but I don't think my wife would allow me to store them at the bottom.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1438894815.899621.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1438894833.620436.jpg

I do like this idea though.. I think I might have to brew a batch of something to store.. or possibly a wine to do this until my little one turns old enough.

Back