Formulate Recipe Clone -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerFireBrew

Reaction score
After searching, most threads were a little older so I assumed there would not be much feedback. I really really enjoyed Tröegs's Hop Knife American Ale. I've never created my own recipe, but tweaked others I've found online. Tröegs' website states the grains/hops used in the brew: Malt - Crystal, Pilsner, Vienna Hops - Cascade, Chinook, El Dorado. From the taste, I think Pilsner is the base but with a good portion of crystal. I plan to attempt a 3 gallon BIAB. (Edited: I accidentally hit Enter so it posted. I am going to post my thought on the recipe)

My initial thought on recipe.. 60 minute boil, not 90

2014-08-29_105805.png

This was the description from the Troegs website

Hop Knife 6.0%

Our signature Amber Ale brewed with Cascade, Williamette, Crystal and Nugget hops

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Curious why 60 verses 90 with BIAB? You want to keep abv low? (Nothing wrong with that)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

With pilsner malt it is a good idea to always boil for 90 to minimize the DMS precursors that result in cream corn aroma.

With pilsner malt it is a good idea to always boil for 90 to minimize the DMS precursors that result in cream corn aroma.

Correct, I wanted to avoid DMS precursors. For anyone interested about that subject: http://beersmith.com/blog/2012/04/10/dimethyl-sulfides-dms-in-home-brewed-beer/

Drummo-RC, I am not sure where you got the information that states:
"Hop Knife 6.0%

Our signature Amber Ale brewed with Cascade, Williamette, Crystal and Nugget hops"

Below is a screen shot from their site.

2014-09-02_153303.png

Back