Former extract, former all grain, now extract brewer brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedie789

Reaction score
It's pretty much as the title states, I started out as an extract brewer about 7 years ago, have been brewing all grain for the last year or so, but last 3 batches have been extract again. I brewed a brown ale extract recipe today and I came to the conclusion I'd rather brew extract recipes right now. I think the simplicity of extract brewing gives me more enjoyment in the brewing process. I'm not giving up all grain, I've brewed some really great beers that way but knocking out an extract batch in about and hour and a half is pretty nice. Anyone else go from all grain to extract brewing?

I partial mash (8 lbs per batch, so mostly grain with added extract). I like the added complexity and flexibility of using the grain.

I occasionally do small test batches (2.5 gallons) all extract (+ steep) to check out new hops or other ingredients. I do Berliners with wheat extract (again small batch), and have done the occasional Sour as extract (after the bugs have been at the sugars, I'm not sure the mash makes much difference).

The extract does make for a short brew day.

Most of my extract batches also have a short boil. If I'm checking out a new hop, I'll design the beer for all the hops to be added in the last 20 minutes, so it's a 25 minute boil. For Berliners and sours, I just bring it to the boil, thru the break and cool.

I get extract (LME) for $2 per lb, so it is not too much more expensive to do an extract batch.

Hey, it's all about doing what ever it takes to get your brewing fix. If extract gets you there, don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Personally, if I don't have the time or motivation to do the whole process, I'll go shopping for some good craft. :mug:

Like you, I started out extract, did all grain for about a year, and am switching back to extract. Ive made some excellent extracts, and enjoy extract brewing more.

Home brewing, IMHO, is all about enjoying what you're doing and making beer you're proud of. And if you, like me, enjoy working with the extracts more and are enjoying the final product, that's all that matters.

Home brewing, IMHO, is all about enjoying what you're doing and making beer you're proud of. And if you, like me, enjoy working with the extracts more and are enjoying the final product, that's all that matters.

I agree completely with this. It should be a pleasure not a trial. That is why I have stuck with the extract brewing. I like to keep it simple and everyone I share my home brews with enjoys them too.

for my system, i can either do partial mash or extract with steeping grains. some people say it's not too much more of a hassle to do partial mash, but i disagree. at least with my system. it can take at least an extra 1 and a half hours if not 2 more hours.
plus when i do bigger IPAs i pretty much have to have the same amount of extract as i would with a partial mash. in a black IPA i did yesterday, the pilsner malts i had in the partial mash were only going to add .4%. i just upped my sugar amount to account for that, and took it out. but now the extra sugar should help dry it out a bit more, so that way it will hopefully taste like a black IPA and not a chocolate ale!

I'm in the same boat(wrote a post about it before I saw this one). Been brewing AG for the last year and a half but recently been experimenting more with extract. The quicker brew time had led me to be more creative with my recipes, and brewing smaller batches more often which increases my variety of beer on tap.

for my system, i can either do partial mash or extract with steeping grains. some people say it's not too much more of a hassle to do partial mash, but i disagree. at least with my system. it can take at least an extra 1 and a half hours if not 2 more hours.

I completely agree with you. I am in the same position. I will normally do a partial mash with up to 8 lbs of grain. I think it adds a lot more control of the flavor and the fermentability of the wort. However, there are just times I want to whip up a quick brew and will go with Extract.

With a mash it probably takes me 1.5 hours (or more) to get to the point where the wort is boiling in the pot, then I need a 60 minute boil. With steeping extract, I can steep as it comes up to the boil, be boiling in about 20 minutes, and can cut the boil time down to about 30 minutes if I load up on the late hops.

So I'm talking 2.5 to 3 hours to flame out with a partial mash, or less than 60 minutes with an extract batch.

With steeping extract, I can steep as it comes up to the boil, be boiling in about 20 minutes, and can cut the boil time down to about 30 minutes if I load up on the late hops.

So I'm talking 2.5 to 3 hours to flame out with a partial mash, or less than 60 minutes with an extract batch.

interesting idea. what temp range are the steeping grains in there? how much water are you steeping with?

Extract works fine for me. I get to brew often and the amount of time keeps my wife happy. I can't pull of the "honey I will see you in 6-8 hours" stuff on the weekend with all sorts of other things to do. Extract keeps the "all you want to do is brew" down to a minimum.

I compare home brew to barbecue in that there are just so many techniques and equipment that are available. It is all about the personal preference and what you want to put in to the experience (and limits of what equipment you have space/money for).
Some guys want to get up at the crack of dawn to get the real wood fire stoked up so that they can spend all day 'queing, and others are happy to slap that meat on the propane grill and are done in 45 min(i know this is grilling for all of the que purists). Which do i prefer? The one that invites me over to share their experience and beer.:D

interesting idea. what temp range are the steeping grains in there? how much water are you steeping with?

All you are doing when steeping is dissolving sugars. How long does it take to dissolve extract? Similar sugars.

I add the grain at the start, stir often to help dissolve the sugars, and remove the grains as the temp gets close to 170 F. I sit the grains in a collender over a bowl to drain, and then add that when I think they have finished draining. The wort is boiling at that time.

I have only done extract and partial mash brews, but I guess my yearning to move to AG is better control over the grain bill. With extract (unless you go big with the partial mash), much of that has been done for you - which could be good or bad.

I want to brew a Fuller's ESB clone, but don't think it will happen with extract kits. I may be able to come close, but there are so many more things in my control with AG. Of course that means a longer brew day, and more variables I can screw up too...

All you are doing when steeping is dissolving sugars. How long does it take to dissolve extract? Similar sugars.

I add the grain at the start, stir often to help dissolve the sugars, and remove the grains as the temp gets close to 170 F. I sit the grains in a collender over a bowl to drain, and then add that when I think they have finished draining. The wort is boiling at that time.

and you are getting good results with this process i assume? are you double crushing your grains to make the process even easier?

I hear a lot of the seasoned brewers talking about brew "days" and at this point I'm not entirely sure I want to devote an entire day to making beer. Now a an extract brew "night" I can get on board with. Come home after work on a Friday and have something in the fermenter by bed time. :mug:

Back