Forgot to prime before bottling!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was in a rush to get by IPA bottled and I forgot to prime it! Is this beer likely to be ok, if a little strange because of the lack of bubbles? Does the lack of CO2 mean the air in the bottles will damage the beer? So far my beer education seems to be making every mistake once. :(

1) make sure you have enough caps to recap your bottles. 2) prepare your priming solution in one cup of water. 3) there are 48 teaspoons in one cup, so place one teaspoon in each bottle. 4) recap and hope for the best! (this assumes you bottled about 48 bottles/5 gallons. adjust if necessary)

1) make sure you have enough caps to recap your bottles. 2) prepare your priming solution in one cup of water. 3) there are 48 teaspoons in one cup, so place one teaspoon in each bottle. 4) recap and hope for the best! (this assumes you bottled about 48 bottles/5 gallons. adjust if necessary)

I'm trying this method, wish me luck(and unexploded bottles)!

I'm trying this method, wish me luck(and unexploded bottles)!

Don't do it.

Leave them capped until you can get some carb tabs. Even then I would leave a couple alone to see what happens. Then you will know whether or no to worry next time.

Carb tabs will be more accurate. If you are going to pour in a teaspoon of solution into each bottle, maybe look into using a small funnel. That way most of it actually make it in the bottle.

Back