Forgot to boil sugar addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusmedic

Reaction score
I have a French saison fermenting and my instructions say to add 1# corn sugar once fermentation has slowed down to help dry it out. Well after several beers today I thought it was a good idea to add the sugar and completely forgot the Step of boiling it in water and adding the sterile solution. I just opened lid, and dumped the sugar straight in. I'm not overly concerned about infection, but how much of this will actually ferment if it just falls to bottom? Should I stir this all up with sanitized spoon spoon over next few days or will this really just kick up trub and possibly give off flavors?

If it were me yes I would give it a stir after 24 hours and then leave it alone.

You should be ok without getting any off flavors as long as everything is clean and sanitized.

I have a French saison fermenting and my instructions say to add 1# corn sugar once fermentation has slowed down to help dry it out. Well after several beers today I thought it was a good idea to add the sugar and completely forgot the Step of boiling it in water and adding the sterile solution. I just opened lid, and dumped the sugar straight in. I'm not overly concerned about infection, but how much of this will actually ferment if it just falls to bottom? Should I stir this all up with sanitized spoon spoon over next few days or will this really just kick up trub and possibly give off flavors?

Dont' stir it. The sugar will all dissolve on its own, albeit more slowly, and stirring will increase the oxidation of your beer. Leave it alone, and it will be fermented out when you are ready to bottle.

Sounds like a nice swirl of the bucket is in order then. Best of both worlds. Thanks!

You can stir, albeit gently, so as not to whip any more oxygen into it. It shouldn't get infected, if the spoon, etc were clean & sanitized. Nasty's need three things to be fruitful & multiply; Air, food & moisture. Dry sugar didn't have the moisture during proper storage, so, in my estimation, it can't be generally infected. You should be fine. Although, dissolving the sugar in boiled water, as with a priming solution, makes it easier for the yeast to get to work on more readily.:mug:

Back