Forgot to ask for "crushed" grains!! What now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripod

Reaction score
D'oh!! :eek::eek::eek:

So I order ingredients for my upcoming brew day just like I always do. When they arive at my house I always inspect everything to make sure the ingredients are correct and fresh, etc. Only then do I realize that I forgot to tell the vendor that I wanted the steeping grains crushed!

Now, if I had a mill I could just run them through and be done with it. Even though we're only talking about about a half-pound or so of grains. But right now I'm still brewing extract with steeping grains and I don't own a mill so that is not an option for me.

Do any of you have a suggestion for crushing these if you don't have a mill? I imagine I could do something like hammer-pounding but I'm also guessing that I really need to crush these to a specific level of crushdome rather then just pounding them into submission...

Any thoughts, HBT? I can't be the first to run into this scenario...

1) Rolling pin on wood cutting board.
2) Pour them into a plastic bucket and use a 3-pound sledge held vertically or a brick.

I've done both with success.

Do not use a food processor or blender.

Since they are specialty grains...they are likely dryer than normal 2-row and should crush easily.

Like others have said the rolling pin should do the trick

or

you could find a friend who does all grain and has a mill. I bet there are tons of brewers in your area. This is a great excuses to join a local club.

I'd just go to the LHBS and buy 1/2 lb of grain crushed, I am all about keeping it simple. Might buy some other stuff from them so you help support local stores. I buy all my grain local as well as 1/2 of my other stuff.

You'll be fine....unless you have 15lbs to deal with.

Thanks All for the ideas. I'm only talking about a very small amount so the rolling pin idea sounds like it would do the trick.

In this case I'm only really using a little Chocolate and Black Patent to get some color so I'm not trying to get a conversion. DME will take care of the rest for now. So I don't really need to think about over/under crushing...am I right on that?

-Tripod

Yeah, my first batch was done with a rolling pin crush on the specialty grains, and because you're essentially just extracting color and only a small amount of sugar, you should be fine. What's the quantity of grains?

Thanks All for the ideas. I'm only talking about a very small amount so the rolling pin idea sounds like it would do the trick.

In this case I'm only really using a little Chocolate and Black Patent to get some color so I'm not trying to get a conversion. DME will take care of the rest for now. So I don't really need to think about over/under crushing...am I right on that?

-Tripod

Yeah I think there is a danger in over doing it.

TWO WORDS: SLAP CHOP
633686494015134310-slapchop.jpg

lol Slapchop. I didn't have a rolling pin so I put the grain inside a cookie tray I used a 32 oz bottle as one.

What's the quantity of grains?

We're only talking about maybe 4oz. here. :) I'm really not worried but I thought I'd ask what others did because I'll probably forget again in the future. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the advice and the laughs. The Slap Chop guy just might be the Sham-WOW guy's long lost twin!

-Tripod

You've got boring grains, you have a boring life. Slap your troubles away.

Back