Forgot to add salts to boil - add to fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davrosh

Reaction score
Made a ridiculous mistake yesterday - Brewed up a breakfast stout but forgot to add salts to the boil.

I usually pre mix my mash salts with the grain and top up in the boiler. This time I did the mash, which was spot on with the PH, but totally forgot the boil addition. With it being a stout it's probably pretty important.

I know the boat has sailed in terms of doing things properly, but has anyone ever done this? I'm thinking of calculating what I need and boiling in a bit of water, cooling and adding to the fermenter. Obviously I can't fix what went on in the boil but I figure it's better than doing nothing at all.

Any ideas?

With a stout, I’m assuming you added baking soda to the mash but intended to add gypsum/CaCl to ensure adequate mineral content for yeast, and for the final beer. Right?

I don’t see anything wrong with your idea. I’ve added salts to a glass of finished beer to assess impact. They seem to dissolve pretty readily. I wouldn’t wait too long though, since yeast like their calcium. But also don’t despair, as soft water can make a perfectly nice stout.

Yeah, added CaCl, backing soda and chalk to the mash so I've got the most important part covered. Mash PH was spot on.

I might just do it. My water has never been great untreated for stouts.

Back