Forgot the flaked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agentbud

Reaction score
I am usually of the mind that if something goes wrong on brew day, it's ok - it'll still be beer. So, this question is not "is my beer messed up?", it's more of a technical question of how the faux pas might change the beer. I have a NEIPA recipe I have brewed several times that I really like. In addition to the 2-row and a few specialty grains, it calls for 1 lb of flaked oats and 1 lb of flaked wheat. I finished the mash and was about 30 minutes into a 75 minute boil when I realized I had left the 2 lbs of flaked grains out of the mash. No hops had been added so far, so I decided to cool the wort back down to mash temp, add the flaked oats and wheat and mash for an additional 20-25 minutes. Then drained and removed the flaked grains and continued on with the boil. Any thoughts on how that might affect the beer, specifically the re-cooling phase back down to mash temp and the shorter mash time for the flaked oats/wheat?

Technically, you didn't mash them you steeped them. After 30 minutes of boiling your enzymes would be long gone and have zero diastatic power. Not sure of the flavor change. Will probably leave it cloudier, but its a NEIPA, so who will be able to tell? Probably lost a bit of gravity too, or it will have the gravity, but it will stay as body, not alcohol. The flavor change should be minimal since most of your flavor comes from the heavy hopping. Should still be close overalll I would guess.

Why would it be messed up?

You just made a different beer than your recipe would have given you. Maybe not much difference though if you don't have a trained taster.

Why would it be messed up?
I'm not saying it is. I'm sure it will be fine. That's why I said this is NOT a "is it messed up?" question. I merely wanted to know how cooling the wort back down to do an additional mash/steep and then adding the flaked for a short time would change things vs if the flaked had been included in the original mash.

I merely wanted to know how cooling the wort back down to do an additional mash/steep and then adding the flaked for a short time would change things vs if the flaked had been included in the original mash.
Pretty much the same answer. It'll still be beer.

You just made a different beer than your recipe would have given you. Maybe not much difference though if you don't have a trained taster.

Just mashing or steeping the flaked grains separately might also be an option sometimes. You can either ignore the addition volume or just boil longer.

Or you can do as you suggested. I personally would just save the flaked grains for another brew and see what it becomes without them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back