Forgot pectic enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipmont

Reaction score
I sulfited a marionberry melomel yesterday, pitched today, but forgot pectic enzyme in between. Should I still do it before alcohol levels begin to rise? Any chance this might anger the little yeasties, prolong lag, etc ...?

Oh,,,, That's a pickle. Wish I could help but I've NEVER used Pectic Enzyme. Ive had a few that didn't ever clear, and most take a long time to clear. If nobody else checks in with a better idea, leave it out. then use a 2 part fining agent later to see if you can drop any remaining particulate.

Thanks guys - I tend to agree. In fact, I usually don't use pectic enzyme either, and the melomels tend to turn out just fine. It's just that I had a batch of blackberry last year that developed a gelatinous mass (bottom 3-4 inches in a 5 gallon carboy - infuriating!) in tertiary bulk aging, even though it had come out of secondary looking reasonably clear. No heat whatsoever used, so I don't see how I could have set the pectin?? Couldn't make heads or tails of it. But that's only happened once, in maybe ten, so what the heck. Thanks again.

I usually just add pectic enzyme along with nutrient just before adding the yeast, so I dont think it would cause any problems if you did add it.

Latest posts

Back