Forgot about my Cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBooze

Reaction score
So, I made a gallon of apple cider in mid-March. I sold my house and have been moving and never got around to bottling it. It's been in the fermenter now for almost 4 months. It quit fermenting about 3 months ago. Still sealed with airlock though. Is this cider going to be any good, or has it been too long. Even though there are no visible signs, I don't want to drink a gallon of mold!

It's no more likely to be infected than it would be after one month, I think, which is to say not very, and you don't get as much trub for it to sit on as you do with beer. At just four months you probably just got yourself a very clear and already somewhat aged cider. Just open it up and if you don't see and smell a horror show go ahead and rack to your bottling bucket. Even if there is a horror show, it's still probably something you can bottle and drink. :)

So, what you did was to inadvertantly bulk age your cider. Many folks would envy the opportunity -- to set cider aside and not even think about it for four months.

If it didn't get too hot and didn't get aerated, it might be a big hit.

How big is the batch? When do you have to be in/out/etc... if you have time to bottle it, you might have something really good to celebrate with at move in!

Look at it.

If there's no mold, taste it.

If it tastes good, bottle it.

And when I first started reading your post, I thought you were going to say you forgot your cider at the old house and wanted to know how to get it back. heheh

My guess is you will sample it and find it to be very nice. Again, as long as it was sealed from O2, you should have no problems. I would bet it never makes it to a bottle if it is just 1 gallon. That amount would be gone very quickly here in Coraopolis, PA.

Salute! :mug:

My Wine yeast batch cleared up within 4 weeks, but this one hasn't gotten very clear, even after all this time. This one was made with an Ale yeast.

Has it been sitting on the dead yeast for four months or was it racked once?
I wouldn't worry about it being moldy but it might taste a little off.

I'm waiting for the "This S**T is F'IN amazing!!!" - with a new "JBooze's 4 Month Cider" thread...

Back