Force carbing in sanke at room temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topmalt

Reaction score
So i've been force carbing a pale ale at 11psi at room temp for a little over 3 days.

Do i need to turn the pressure up or can i just leave it at 11 psi since i don't plan on hooking it up to drink it for a couple weeks.

so i just leave it at 30psi till i hook it up to a tap? even if it's gonna sit for 2 or 3 weeks...

so if i leave it at lets say 35 psi cause it's about 78 f in my place for six weeks, it won't over carb???? even if i only want it at 2.5?

so if i leave it at lets say 35 psi cause it's about 78 f in my place for six weeks, it won't over carb???? even if i only want it at 2.5?

Correct. Once the CO2 reaches equilibrium, it will stay there unless you change the pressure or temperature. When it's time to serve it, disconnect the gas, chill it, and then reconnect the gas at whatever pressure corresponds to 2.5 vol at the new temperature to serve it.

I know JuanMoore's answer was correct because I'n never read an advice he gave that is not right on.. This one I just didn't understand, my lack of intelligence not his answer.. Isn't that funny? Some people don't understand what is said so don't believe it.

My answer with no scientific explanation is to leave it at serving pressure for at least one month. The CO2 will dissolve into cold beer more quickly than room temp beer. When I force carb a chilled beer at serving pressure it takes at least three weeks before the beer turns out well. If you're carbing at room temp it will take quite a while longer than that.

My answer with no scientific explanation is to leave it at serving pressure for at least one month. The CO2 will dissolve into cold beer more quickly than room temp beer. When I force carb a chilled beer at serving pressure it takes at least three weeks before the beer turns out well. If you're carbing at room temp it will take quite a while longer than that.

If you plan serving pressure to be, say, 12 psi, you can't simply hook the keg up at room temp to 12 psi and wait longer. It will *never* carb to 2.5vol CO2 at room temp and 12 psi. The liquid simply won't absorb 2.5vol of CO2 at 12 psi and 70 degrees, no matter how long you wait -- it will only absorb about 1.2 vol CO2.

It's around 78 f in our house so I'm going to set the psi to 35 lbs for at least 2-3 week. Will that be long enough or should i move the hole set up into my freezer....(if it fits).

Chill to serving temperature and then set the pressure to reach your desired carbonation level and leave it for 2+ weeks.

I normally chill for at least 24 hours before connecting to the CO2 feed.

I know JuanMoore's answer was correct because I'n never read an advice he gave that is not right on.. This one I just didn't understand, my lack of intelligence not his answer.. Isn't that funny? Some people don't understand what is said so don't believe it.

It doesn't really take any longer at room temp. CO2 dissolves faster into colder beer if the pressure is the same. It also dissolves into beer faster if the pressure is raised at the same temp. As long as the pressure correlates to the correct carb level at any given temp, it will take about the same amount of time.

It's around 78 f in our house so I'm going to set the psi to 35 lbs for at least 2-3 week. Will that be long enough or should i move the hole set up into my freezer....(if it fits).

Three weeks should be fine, and FWIW that will result in 2.58 vol of carbonation. If you want 2.5 vol as you mentioned earlier, set it at 33 psi.

Chill to serving temperature and then set the pressure to reach your desired carbonation level and leave it for 2+ weeks.

I normally chill for at least 24 hours before connecting to the CO2 feed.

What's wrong with carbing at room temp? A lot of people don't have the fridge/freezer/keezer space to keep all of their beer at serving temp while carbing.

JuanMoore said:
It doesn't really take any longer at room temp. CO2 dissolves faster into colder beer if the pressure is the same. It also dissolves into beer faster if the pressure is raised at the same temp. As long as the pressure correlates to the correct carb level at any given temp, it will take about the same amount of time.

Three weeks should be fine, and FWIW that will result in 2.58 vol of carbonation. If you want 2.5 vol as you mentioned earlier, set it at 33 psi.

Is there a spread sheet for this kind of info out there somewhere?

What's wrong with carbing at room temp? A lot of people don't have the fridge/freezer/keezer space to keep all of their beer at serving temp while carbing.

Having it carbonate AT serving temperature, and pressure, means you are ready to go to tap much sooner. I have four spots in my current brew fridge, with three taps. The fourth spot is for carbonating a keg. That way, as soon as one kicks, I can simply clean the line and move it to the carbonated, chilled, waiting keg of beer.

Not having a spot to simply carbonate a keg (at least one) is poor planning on your part, IMO. The ONLY way I'd carbonate outside of a fridge/keezer/etc. is IF that area/room was already damned close to serving temperature already (below 50F). I might be able to do that if I get the job in Bangor, ME and move there. :rockin::D

BTW, CaptnCully... http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php Only goes up to 65F though.

Is there a spread sheet for this kind of info out there somewhere?

Here's a calculator which will tell you the required pressure for any temp-

http://www.iancrockett.com/brewing/info/forcecarb.shtml

Having it carbonate AT serving temperature, and pressure, means you are ready to go to tap much sooner.

How so? You already mentioned that you chill the kegs before connecting the gas, and it takes the same amount of time to carb either way. There's zero time difference this way.

Not having a spot to simply carbonate a keg (at least one) is poor planning on your part, IMO. The ONLY way I'd carbonate outside of a fridge/keezer/etc. is IF that area/room was already damned close to serving temperature already (below 50F).

Not sure how it's poor planning, but whatever. You still haven't mentioned a single valid benefit of carbing ALL of your beer at serving temp. Some beers benefit from longer aging at ferm temps, which can be done while carbing. Some beers benefit from cold conditioning while carbing. They're both great ways to carb beer IMO, and I carb at both serving and ferm temps. As always, YMMV.

Golddiggie said:
The ONLY way I'd carbonate outside of a fridge/keezer/etc. is IF that area/room was already damned close to serving temperature already (below 50F).

Can you explain why?

Somebody stop me if im wrong, but is it possible to use coopers carbonating tablets when priming a corny keg containing a pilsner. Treating the keg as one big bottle and using coopers carbonating tablets seems plausible. If it is possible to use carbonating tablets , how many tablets are need id the corny keg is to be situated within a fridge,Cheers

We are the beer-makers,we are the dreamers of the dreams-Gene Wilder

iceman1988 said:
Somebody stop me if im wrong, but is it possible to use coopers carbonating tablets when priming a corny keg containing a pilsner. Treating the keg as one big bottle and using coopers carbonating tablets seems plausible. If it is possible to use carbonating tablets , how many tablets are need id the corny keg is to be situated within a fridge,Cheers

Yes, you can do it. It would take about 150 to 200 tabs. Why would you want to do it?

Sure it's possible, but it seems kinda silly to me. The carb tabs are just expensive pre-measured pieces of sugar, usually dextrose (corn sugar). It would be much cheaper and easier to just use corn sugar. Use a calculator like this one to determine how much sugar you need. And anytime you carbonate naturally by priming with sugar it needs to be done at fermentation temp or warmer. If you try to do it in the fridge the yeast will go to sleep and won't eat the sugar to carbonate the beer.

Thanks JuanMoore. I think Ill let it sit at 35 psi so i get a little under 2.6. I take it ales are ok to force carb at room temp but lagers should be carbed at controlled temps?

Or... What beers benefit from cold carbing while conditioning and which beers benefit from room temp carbing/conditioning. I'm thinking pilsner then saisons (respectively). or just make it general and say lagers then ales?

I only wanted to know if it was possible to carbom prime with coopers carbonating tablets as I have a few packets of them that i want to use up.Can somebody quickly explain the co2 process of corny kegs.My local homebrew shop does'nt sell your typical co2 cannister but rather a co2 dispenser and cahrger.I think there called HB 30 super CO2 cyclinder. Has anybody used them and if so what are thet like to use

Back