Force carbing corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mildeng

Reaction score
Hi all, I have my CO2 hooked up to corny keg set to 30 psi. Was planning to leave this for about 2 days, then reduce to 10-12 for serving level. Realized I did not shake or rock the keg upon hitting it with CO2 - major error, or might just take a little longer to carb up?

Having tried several different carb schedules, I do exactly what you're talking about. 48 hours at 30 psi then back it off to serving pressure for however long you want. For me it's usually decent at about 5 days depending on the beer. I don't do any shaking of the keg.

I think you'll be ok, depending on the temperature of the keg. I typically do 40 for 24 hours and 20 for 24 hours before going down to 10 for serving. I then let the beer cold condition at that pressure for at least 24 hours before tapping, preferably longer. All this happens at 35F.

This method has served me well as a great compromise between the quick and dirty shake and the 2 week set it and forget it.

Also: I start the 48-hour clock when I put the keg in the kegerator, which usually happens warm so it is chilling during that 48 hours. If it's already cold you may need slightly less time at higher PSI. But it probably should be fine either way.

i like my glass full, and not foam...so by my taste you'll be fine....you did remember to purge the keg right?

Back