Force-carb through OUT line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
I've seen a few place recommend force-carbing through the OUT line to disperse the gas more quickly (http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=42329), but i get a ton of CO2 leaking out when I tried this earlier. I know the fittings are different sizes. Is there a trick to this, possibly switching the connections? I feel like I'm missing something very obvious.

You can put a beer out QD on your gas line, and put the CO2 on your keg's out port, thereby shooting gas into the beer. If you do this, remember to hook it up correctly to serve.

OK, so why would you force carb throught eh out line? Just because it will bubble up through the beer as it enters? Would this do any more than just shaking the keg after you have gassed it?

PeteOz77 said:
OK, so why would you force carb throught eh out line? Just because it will bubble up through the beer as it enters? Would this do any more than just shaking the keg after you have gassed it?
No, but it looks great on paper! ;)

PeteOz77 said:

I hook it up to the out post often when I shake just to get the benefit from the shaking and the bubbling.

Definitely change your fittings, though. Ball lock fittings can easily get stuck if on the wrong post. If it gets stuck, you'll find yourself like one of those imposters trying to yank Excalibur from the stone.

TL

wild said:
No, but it looks great on paper! ;)

can you elaborate? it seems that it does the exact same thing as shaking it, and therefore would do a more effective job if combined with shaking. if you have experience or theory that proves otherwise, please share. i'm all up for not changing my connections, but others have purported success with this method.

it would also seem to be a benefit for the set-and-forget method, which i'm fond of because forgetting is one of my greatest skills.

My CO2 connection went on the outpost with no leaks and came off easily. It bubbles for a few seconds and stops. At 30 PSI I had drinkable beer in 24 hours no shaking

IMHO, in the grand scheme of things, why rush carbonation after you have waited a month or more for your beer to be ready? Just set your temp and pressure to the desired carbonation level and let it sit for a week. This way you will have even, fine, carbonation, at the exact level you desire.

The crank and shake technique is a waste of effort and should only be used if you are behind schedule and need to carbonate in a few hours or a day max.

Like almost everything else in Homebrewing, RDWHAHB and chill out for a few days :mug:

Just put it at the pressure for the carbonation you are looking for and leave it for a week. It works every time! :D

Boerderij Kabouter said:
IMHO, in the grand scheme of things, why rush carbonation after you have waited a month or more for your beer to be ready? Just set your temp and pressure to the desired carbonation level and let it sit for a week. This way you will have even, fine, carbonation, at the exact level you desire.

The crank and shake technique is a waste of effort and should only be used if you are behind schedule and need to carbonate in a few hours or a day max.

Like almost everything else in Homebrewing, RDWHAHB and chill out for a few days :mug:

a very fine point. building a kegerator can make a person do crazy impatient things.

Carbonating through the out-line make way awesome (and eerie) sounds as the gas bubbles through the keg. Kind of a neat party trick I guess... I get scared 'cause the keg sounds like it's going to explode.

Boerderij Kabouter said:

A nice fresh hefe thats meant to be cloudy is an example where a good force carb situation. Especially on a hot day, like today (i just did this today at lunch in order to enjoy this evening)

Back