For those who have made tripels...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinibrew04

Reaction score
Do you prefer to use candi sugar in the last 5-10 min. of the boil or add to the fermenter as fermentation begins to slow? It seems that I would be able to dry out the beer more if I added it to the fermenter after most of the maltose was already fermented. Any input would be great!!

I intend to make a Tripel next week, and my plan was to make up a batch of candy syrup a few days after brewing and add it incrementally until it no longer continues fermenting.

It may depend on what yeast you use. I'm using Wyeast 3787, which recommends "This type of yeast benefits from incremental feeding of sugars during fermentation, making suitable conditions for doubles and triples, to ferment to dryness."

I brewed one about two months ago and tossed the sugar in 10 minutes before flameout. The Wyeast 3787 fermented that wort from 1.072 down to 1.007.

I use cane sugar, too, and I add it at the beginning of the boil. That way it doesn't throw off my hop utilization and I don't have to worry about forgetting it later!

Yeah, from what I've ready, cane is basically the same as the clear candy so maybe I'll go with that. I'm leaning toward adding to the primary. I did some more research...for what it's worth, Jamil does it this way. I guess I could try both. Good thinking on the hop utilization. I've already adjusted for that in beersmith. Thanks for all the prompt replies!

I use cane sugar, too, and I add it at the beginning of the boil. That way it doesn't throw off my hop utilization and I don't have to worry about forgetting it later!
I brewed three Tripel/BGSAs using the same grain bill, mash, and hops but with different yeasts...unfortunately I did just the opposite of you on Tripel #2...I forgot to add the sugar in the boil (at the end). So I had to add it in the fermenter right after high krausen. Of course, it's no longer apples-to-apples but Tripel #2 (WLP570, 10.5% ABV) fermented drier so it had more alcohol than Tripel #1 (WY3787, 9.5% ABV) but it tastes significantly less alcoholic than Tripel #1. I thought Tripel #1 masked the alcohol pretty well...until I tapped #2.

Still have not tapped Tripel #3 (WLP500) which had sugar in the boil.

But just based on this I'll probably be adding the sugar in the fermenter in future brews just because Tripel #2 is so much better than Tripel #1.

These were all 1.088 OG using 1.75# cane sugar.

from everything I've read its best to add simple sugars after the more complex malt sugars are fermented otherwise the yeast might take the easy way out and not attenuate fully.
If you use non liquid sugar during fermentation you should dissolve it in water first otherwise you risk creating a geyser, you should also be careful about boil overs if you add it during the boil.

I just bottled a triple with:
- Cane Sugar, also followed Jamil's comment that Candi sugar is a waste of money
- Added near end of fermentation

Gravity Readings:
OG 1.068
Added 2.5lbs of table sugar at 1.012
FG 5 days later: 1.011

So, can't argue with reaching the right dryness, alcohol well hidden too... so I'm really hoping to see this one turn out pretty nice!

I've been doing at end of boil, but after hearing of others' results adding after primary fermentation I think I'm going to try that next time with the same recipe I've been using, and only changing that.

Ordinary cane works well, and I've even spruced it up lately by using Turbinado in a tripel and Demerara in a saison... Both in place of pricey candi sugar.

So, I've done three belgian beers (not including Wits) and always feel like there is too much of an alcohol presence. I'm tempted to add sugar after fermentation now, but why would this decrease the alcohol flavor?

TheH2, I think it has to do with the amount of higher/fusel alcohols produced. By adding the sugar in the fermenter the yeast never actually 'see' the total gravity at once and aren't stressed as much and produce less of the higher/fusel alcohols.

That makes sense but it shouldn't be an issue of one pitches a healthy amount of yeast.

That said, maybe even while pitching a sufficient amount of yeast it is just one extra step to make sure that the yeast aren't stressed. I may have to try it for the next belgian batch.

Just being in that high-specific-gravity environment stresses the yeast...so you temper it by feeding it to them in doses.

Even if you pitch a crap-ton of yeast...they're still seeing the 'total gravity' all at once. By incrementally feeding the sugar the yeast never see the 'total gravity' of the brew...they see a lower gravity and feast on that for a while which reduces the gravity...then you feed it some sugar which increases it again and they feast on that.

I always add cane sugar (organic turbinado if possible) into the primary after fermentation has slowed a bit. The last one I did fermented down to ~1.009, a.b.v. of 10.5% after 3 additions of 0.5 pounds turbinado (each addition) at day 6, 8, and 10.

I think its a success because it drinks incredibly smooth, and it surprises the hell out of my friends after they've made it halfway through one fairly quickly and I tell them that its 10.5% a.b.v. Tastes and drinks like a 6 - 7% beer.

I boil the sugar in a small amount of water for ~10 minutes with stirring, cool that quickly by immersing the pot in the sink full of ice water, and then put dump into the fermenter.

I pitch at 64F for the first half of fermentation then slowly bring it up to 70F and hold it there until finished to ensure full attenuation.

Definitely some nice orange citrus esters. Its more spicy then anything else. The alcohol started hot, at 12.5% ABV I kind of expected that, but I lagered it for 2 months, and that quickly mellowed out. Now it's pretty smooth. After looking at my notes again, once fermentation had pretty much stopped I heated it up to about 75F and kept it there for a few extra days. Not sue if it helped or not, but OG was 1.099 and it finished at 1.004. So it fully attenuated.

Back