Food Containers for fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Is any food grade BPA free container ok for fermentation? I'm going to be doing 1.5 gallon batches and am thinking of using clear rectangle or round food containers like you would find in any big box store. I just dont want anything that can leech off flavors into my beer, but would like to get creative with some little clear 12qt containers w/lids. Easy to clean, low dead air space during fermentation, etc.

I'm not sure if these would work for fermenting but they would be a super cheap option if they are. Go to your grocery store's bakery and ask for the empty icing buckets. The places here sell them for $1 but they're food grade, good seals on the lids, and you can get them in 1-5 gallon sizes. My dad got a pile of the 3 gal ones for me to store grain.

Edit: doubt you could find them clear if that's a deal-breaker, though.

Is any food grade BPA free container ok for fermentation? I'm going to be doing 1.5 gallon batches and am thinking of using clear rectangle or round food containers like you would find in any big box store. I just dont want anything that can leech off flavors into my beer, but would like to get creative with some little clear 12qt containers w/lids. Easy to clean, low dead air space during fermentation, etc.
I don't see any reason why not as long as it's food safe and you're able to clean it. A reasonably good seal on the lid might be good if you're putting on an during, but even then many people just put a loose bucket lid on and skip the airlock.

yea but they don't make clear paint buckets. If the food containers will work, I will be able to see inside like a carboy but with the ease of cleaning like a lidded bucket, best of both worlds.

You likely have a restaurant supply near you, you can get clear buckets with lids there. They’re usually referred to as cambro, but thats just one brand name. You may even find them online, but shipping might be costly due to bulk size. Theyre not super tight seals but fine for fermenting. Dont do long term storage tho.

I've been considering using these

https://www.meijer.com/product/groc...t2/t2-9976/t3/t3-241/t4/t4-622/8304600006.uts

Bonus, it comes with water for brewing! And they would stack nicely in my fermentation fridge. I'm sure they are one time use but they cost next to nothing if you get generic.

Those look really hard to clean, is that handle hollow? IME a PBW soak alone is not always enough for stubborn krausen rings. I have to slosh a wet washcloth around pretty good in my 3 gal better bottles, and even then there can be stubborn spots that I probably would have missed if I couldn't see through the bottle.

Edit: Ah, I just saw you're talking about one time use. I guess if you're needing to buy water anyway. How would you vent it?

Those look really hard to clean, is that handle hollow? IME a PBW soak alone is not always enough for stubborn krausen rings. I have to slosh a wet washcloth around pretty good in my 3 gal better bottles, and even then there can be stubborn spots that I probably would have missed if I couldn't see through the bottle.

Edit: Ah, I just saw you're talking about one time use. I guess if you're needing to buy water anyway. How would you vent it?

I know that little valve pops out leaving about a 2" hole. Would just need to retrofit some sort of stopper. Maybe even a #5 stopper would work.

I bought 2 of these 1.4 gal Little Big Mouth Bubblers and they've worked out great:

little_bmb_1000.jpg

https://www.northernbrewer.com/little-big-mouth-bubbler

yea but they don't make clear paint buckets. If the food containers will work, I will be able to see inside like a carboy but with the ease of cleaning like a lidded bucket, best of both worlds.
I never worry about seeing the fermentation but lots do. Yes cleaning easy. I just let it go 3-4 weeks

Back