Folks with 2x8 and 2x10 collars!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deezy

Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a GE or Holiday 7.0 to begin a keezer build...4 taps. After looking at the threads, seems I'll have to go 2x8 or 2x10 to get one on them on the hump, 2x10 more than likely. Question on cooling, I've seen where some put mini pc fans in there to move the air around a bit...anyone not doing this and having freezing or foam issues with the higher collars? Debating on if I should just go for a larger freezer if airflow/temp will be that much of an issue. Thanks to all! :mug:

I have a holiday 7.0 with a 10 inch collar. I fit 5 kegs in there with no fan and i don't have issues with freezing or foaming outside of the first few pints of a keg when I am still playing with the pressures. I do get a bit of condensation in the bottom though and am considering adding a fan to circulate the air.

got the kenmore 8.8 with 10" colar. No fan and think I will add it, as my lines are warmer and I see foaming.

I have a 1x10 collar with foam insulation on my Frigidaire. Installed a fan from the beginning and have had no issues as far as freezing. Little bit of moisture that I fix with a closet disposable dehumidifier.

I have a 7 cu ft. GE with a 2x10" collar with reflectix on the back. No fan and I have never ran into any foaming problems with 10 foot lines.

I cut a 10" piece of 3/4" ply for my collar, and then lined it with 3/4" blueboard foam.

Small computer fan runs all the time and I don't get foaming.

Once I plugged all the holes in the collar (from airline/probe holes) the condensation dropped to about zero with some damp rid in there.

B

I can't help you on the fan yet (trying to wire in mine this weekend), but you may want to consider 1X10 instead of 2X10 if you are going to make the collar lift up, reduces the weight significantly.

I've got the GE 7.0 with a 1x10 collar with foam board insulation. Spliced a pc fan to a old cell phone charger, glued rare earth magnets to the fan so I can easily move it around. I've found that pointing the air flow downward seems to keep different parts of the freezer more consistent.

Got 9' beer lines and no real foaming issues. A slight bit more foam on the first pint from each tap but not enough to worry about it.

I have 4 kegs in a GE 5.0 cf freezer with a collar. I don't have any fan to move air and haven't had any issues yet. The first pour of the day is ~1/4 foam from the pass-through tower not being as cold as the inside, but it doesn't really bother me. I'm sure that if I did faucets through the collar it would be a non-issue.

Back