Foamy head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibrew2little

Reaction score
Hey guys have a question. My beer is coming out nothing but foam. I have 8' 3/16" beer tubing. Serving pressure of 6 pounds. I use PBW to clean per directions and Star San as my sterilizer. Im force carbing according to software. Im lost on cause. Ive scrubbed and rinsed and sterilzed. Not sure why im getting foamy beers. It seems the beer is find at first but in time gets worse. Any ideas!? Thanks!

hmm. Kind of the opposite of having a warm tap with cold keg (get's foamier over time instead of improving). Have you been keeping the beer at 6 pounds the whole time or did you do the set to 30 pounds and shake method earlier? If you've had it at 6 pounds the whole time is it possible your gauge is broken. I'd think at 6lb it would be a tad undercarbed

All my lines and kegs are inside my fridge. Only thing on outside is obviously the taps. Its a new regulator. Could be off but seems to work fine. It does seem my kegs have alot more than 6 pounds in them. Could the outside cold temps be messing with my gas inside the kegs!? Fridge temps hold at 42f but garage where CO2 is varies between 20-40 recently

All my lines and kegs are inside my fridge. Only thing on outside is obviously the taps. Its a new regulator. Could be off but seems to work fine. It does seem my kegs have alot more than 6 pounds in them. Could the outside cold temps be messing with my gas inside the kegs!? Fridge temps hold at 42f but garage where CO2 is varies between 20-40 recently

Has it been at 6 psi the whole time? It sounds like it was much higher than 6 psi at one point, and then turning it down to 6 psi caused the pressure to change, and it's out of equilibrium. 6 psi at fridge temperature is a very low pressure, and it should be quite undercarbed. Mine is at 12 psi at 40 degrees.

Say im carbing at 12lbs for a beer style at 42f, my serving pressure i bleed down to 4-6lbs. Am i wrong in doing this? I have 4 beers running off 1 tank and regulator

Can't see that making much of a difference. I keep my CO2 in the kegerator in the high 30s and don't have a problem. Is this the first time you've used this regulator?? It could be that the regulator is fine but the gauge got dinged in shipping or something. I know any time I've knocked over my tank the gauge is pretty much screwed and doesn't read properly. They're very fragile.

You should serve at the same pressure you carbed at. If you lower the pressure in the keg the carbonation will come out of the beer to equalize the pressure

Back