Foaming after adding 10ft hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmd1971

Reaction score
Hi, after replacing the 5 ft beer tubing with 10 ft tubing on my tower faucet, I am still getting tons of foam. Any ideas here? It was suggested replacing the 5 ft with 10 ft would do the job but it has not helped. It even seems a bit worse to be honest. The original hose that came on the tower was 3/16" line but my LHBS gave me 1/4". I have the psi set to around 11-12. Do I need to drop this down?

Any ideas here? I just tapped a keg with the new line yesterday. Could it just need time to balance? I'm kind of discouraged as in the 3 kegs I've now tapped, each pour has been about 1/4 to 1/2 foam. I need to figure this out or it doesn't seem worthwhile as so much is being lost in foam....

Thanks for any suggestions!

Obviously it's worse. My local shop only sells 1/4" tubing. I think you will need 20 ft or more of it to work right.

What is probably happening is warm beer in the lines in the tower and not cold enough beer in the kegerator. I would chill down the kegs to close to freezing- maybe 33 to 35. Then try pouring a swish of foam and dumping it and repouring to verify that the tower lines are not warm any more..

10 feet of 3/16 works well, you'll need quite a bit more than 10 feet of 1/4 tubing to achieve the right balance.

Damn - misled again. Alright, this damned setup is too much of a pain in the ass. Bottles are so much less hassle! There's no way I'm taking that tower apart yet again, especially now there's beer in the tubing.

Thanks for the insight guys. Just think bottles are best for me going forward. Anyone want a kegerator? :)

Damn - misled again. Alright, this damned setup is too much of a pain in the ass. Bottles are so much less hassle! There's no way I'm taking that tower apart yet again, especially now there's beer in the tubing.

Thanks for the insight guys. Just think bottles are best for me going forward. Anyone want a kegerator? :)

I'll give you $5 shipped for it. :mug:

But seriously. get the hose you'll need. it's worth it. Much faster bottling day and you can enjoy younger styles faster!

Stick with it! Don't lose patience yet.

Once you get everything balanced and dialed in you'll wonder why you ever bottled. I had similar frustrations when first setting up my taps but now I find bottling such a PITA and it's just awesome to have great, home made beer on tap.

Stick with it. Once you have it set up it'll be worth it. I had some issues with kegging at first with foaming and leaking ect and after a while you learn how to get everything working right.

OK, another question re: the regulator. I keep trying to set it at 9psi & every time I come back to look at it, it's crept up to 12-14. I then gently turn the screw the other way, push the pins in the disconnect & it drops to zero. If I very, very slightly turn it back to the right & leave it for 10-15 mins again, it's up to 11 or 12 psi again!

I can't seem to get a steady pressure under 12ish. It's either 12ish or zero.....

Insta-Balance
FLOW RESTRICTORS
Fits into shank behind the faucet
Catalog No.
12S07-101 12S07-102 12S07-103 12S07-104 12S07-109

These might work also. You can get it at a foxx equipment retailer. They add restriction to your lines.

OK, another question re: the regulator. I keep trying to set it at 9psi & every time I come back to look at it, it's crept up to 12-14. I then gently turn the screw the other way, push the pins in the disconnect & it drops to zero. If I very, very slightly turn it back to the right & leave it for 10-15 mins again, it's up to 11 or 12 psi again!

I can't seem to get a steady pressure under 12ish. It's either 12ish or zero.....

How did you carbonate the keg? maybe it is carbed at 12 atm?

I've had it on 12 psi since I put the kegerator into action but now am trying to drop it to 9 psi as well as dropping the temp down to 34ish to try to rid myself of the damned foaming!

Back