Foam Troubleshooting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philbert119

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody can offer suggestions as to why some of my kegs turn out really foamy and others do not. I have a Czech Pilsner on right now that started out foamy, and the tap continues to deposit 1/3-1/2 a pint full of head into the glass.

My method of carbonation is the slow force carbonation method. I begin carbonation and let it sit for 2 weeks before drinking, and this method has proven really successful save for the odd keg. My keezer is set at 34F and my tank regulator is set at 9.5 PSI, which should get me 2.53 PSI in solution according to the charts, a perfect carbonation for a pilsner. However, my beer is turning out way too foamy. I should mention I also have an IPA on tap, hooked up to the same tank and at the same pressure and temp (2.53), and it pours a perfect two finger head.

I have checked the keg and lines for leaks. I have not disturbed it or shaken it. Anyone have suggestions about how this is happening and secondly what I can do to salvage this keg of delicious pilsner?

Thanks.

How long are your lines? And how is your keezer set up - do you have a collar with shanks running through it, or do you have a tower?

Do you find that the first pour comes out foamy, and then subsequent pours come out relatively clear (until you give the keezer a rest), or is it consistently foamy?

Also, why 34F? That's a bit lower than most folks seem to keep their keezer/kegerators... Mine's right around 40F, and that seems to be a sweet spot most folks aim for.

If the other keg is pouring fine, I'd make sure your liquid (out) dip tube o-ring is doing its job...

I have 10 foot lines which have worked very well for me in the past (with most kegs). I have a collar with the shanks running through it. I keep my keezer at 34F because I lager my pilsners in the keezer as well and like to keep it closer to 32F. I think I will replace the o-rings on this particular keg and monitor it to see if it is keg specific.

Back