Foam in beer line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spbrhs07

Reaction score
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1442603149.600561.jpg

I've been kegging my beer for the past 6 months. The last two batches have done this to me. The line fills with air and foam and then when I pour a glass it's about 90% foam no matter how low the pressure is. After the first, I thought it was due to lack of lube and/or not having hose clamps. I carb it at 30psi for about 3 days and then serve at 10psi. The beer line is about 6' long. How do I fix this?

I know someone with the same problem right now. They as well carb'd at around 30psi for a few days and I think that the beer is now over carbonated. I told them to bleed the pressure from the keg and then let CO2 escape from the beer to re-pressurize the keg. Told them they may have to release the pressure quite a few times over a course of a day or two inorder drop the carbonation in the beer. I'll try and post back if it works for them.

I think you've overcarbed. I would turn the gas off and release the pressure relieve value throughout the day for a few days. Hook the gas back up and see how that works.

Also make sure that your dip tube and ball lock is free of debris.

6 feet of tubing isnt enough to prevent major foaming. Also, is it 3/16" ID tubing or larger? Generally people say to start at 12 feet and cut back from there. 10 feet is usually good for most, but its best to start long and work your way back.

Temperature also has something to do with it. Are you in the low 30s? or at like 40?

The temp is about 34F and the line is 1/4 ID. I'm thinking it is probably just over carbed. I came across a sticky on here about how to instantly lower it. Hook up the gas line to the outlet on the keg and bleed it..... Messy! But I think it's working....

The temp is about 34F and the line is 1/4 ID. I'm thinking it is probably just over carbed. I came across a sticky on here about how to instantly lower it. Hook up the gas line to the outlet on the keg and bleed it..... Messy! But I think it's working....

Whether it's overcarbed or not, you're going to get nothing but foam from a 1/4" ID beer line of only 6 ft. With that sized line, you'd need about 30 ft to compensate for typical carbonation volumes and serving temps.

Or you can switch out the line for some 3/16" and use a 10 ft length. You should probably change the beer lines anyway, as the one in the photo looks pretty old and nasty (discolored, etc). PVC lines should be changed every year or so.

Back