Flying Dog Raging *****

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyceman

Reaction score
Im looking to do a clone of this beer this weekend and after looking around on the site and the company page I have a working recipe. Im looking to see if anyone has any input on the ingredients. I have a couple of things im shaky about.

7 lbs pils
6 lbs 2 row
1 lb sugar
1/2 lb c60

1 oz warrior 60
.5 columbus 15
.5 amarillo 15
1 columbus 2
1 amarillo 2
1.5 amarillo dryhop
.5 columbus dryhop

wyeast 3944
mash 150 (maybe a protein rest in there as well)
90 minute boil

Ive never used pils grain in an IPA before. It seems appropriate in a Belgian IPA and from what Ive read, Flying Dog and a couple other companies use it in Belgian IPAs. Too much, too little?

Table sugar... It makes sense to drop the FG, but Im wondering if I should sub in candi sugar. The software has FG on this one at 1022. Should I consider dropping some of the grain/sugar and replacing with 2-3 lbs of candi sugar to get a lower FG?

Ive read in a couple of places that Flying Dog uses wit yeast which they call "El Diablo". So Im going with 3944 which Ive used in a couple of wits. Anyone have a good idea for a ferment temp. RB has a decent funk with a little fruit, but to me it seems dominated by the hops. Would fermenting this on the low end, say around 65-66 be appropriate, or would you take into the 70s.

As popular as this beer seems to be & as trendy as belgian IPAs are right now, i was sure Id get some response.

Grain Bill
———–
15.50 lb British Pale (Maris Otter)
2.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) UK
1.50 lb Crystal 40L
1.00 lb Cara-Pils
Hops Schedule
—————-
1.00 oz Warrior [17.20 %] @60 min
0.50 oz Amarillo [7.20 %] @30 min
0.50 oz Columbus [14.40 %] @30 min
1.10 oz Columbus [14.40 %] @15 min
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [7.20 %] @15 min
0.60 oz Columbus [14.40 %] @1 min
0.60 oz Amarillo [7.20 %] @1 min
2.00 oz Amarillo [7.20 %] Dry Hop for 11 days
Yeast
———
Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522)
- 2L starter (2010.09.02)

Brewed this one twice and came out great both times.

When i get back home i will throw up some info on mash temp,ferm temp and whatever else you may need.

not a big fan of Raging *****, but it's the only Belgian IPA I've tried.

but I do want to try Devil's Backbone The Congo because I LOVE their 8 Point IPA (which is brewed with pilsner malt)

Back