Flooding in Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin4

Reaction score
Just thought I would give you guys some info. I know a lot of you are aware of the flooding in San Marcos (Texas) over the weekend.

First, TxBrew and I are alright. I really appreciate everyone who took the time to check on us. Sorry I couldn't respond sooner. Cable/Phone/Internet went down Saturday morning and didn't come back on till late last night.

There also were issues sending email/text messages/phone calls through out the entire weekend (It's actually still an issue).

There is damage, and unfortunately some people didn't make it out of the flood area. We are under curfew (9 pm) till the waters recede, but of course the rain starts up again tomorrow so who knows.

There are large chunks of the road missing, and the town is pretty still right now while most brace for round 2.

We lost power for a considerable amount of time in the area too. Today we're out buying candles. I will keep you guys informed via this thread if any issues come up personally for Tx or myself.

Again, thanks for reaching out! If it takes me a bit to respond that's what's going on.

Also, what sort of age do we live in were all the candles for an emergency situation are scented?

"I'm scared, but this apple cinnamon sure is soothing. Do we have lavender by chance?"

My house smells great right now.

Take care and I pray for your people down there.

Also, LED flashlights are a great bargain when used along with candles in an emergency. Of course they don't smell as nice, though.

Stay safe.

It might be a good idea to scatter some hops around. You know, to help offset the "mind crazy" the scented candles are going to bring

Good Luck!

Hopefully this week won't be as bad. Make sure you have enough food and water.
and beer

Good luck down there. Looks like Houston got hit pretty hard yesterday too, but not as bad as you guys. Hopefully all of this crap will end soon. Personally, I'm sick of the damn rain and my yard needs mowed something terrible! Stay safe guys.

I have to say, it was worse than I ever could have imagined. I was without internet for at least 10 minutes, and the 911 dispatcher just told me I was "wasting her time". Heartless. And my driveway is, like, really wet, you guys.

In all seriousness, we got off lucky here in NB, despite being situated right on two rivers. Real bad 15 miles north, real bad 15 miles south. Some folks over in Wimberley (friends of friends) lost their lives, so even here people are pretty shaken up and counting their blessings.

Glad everyone is safe and sound.

On a side note, has "Texas Flood" by Stevie Ray Vaughn been played out yet?

No, but give it a few more hours.

Good Luck!

Hopefully this week won't be as bad. Make sure you have enough food and water.

My wife went out a bit earlier to do just that. It hasn't happened yet, but when we flood our water gets contaminated. We had a flood in 09 and they are still trying to get our drinking water under control.

Well...I tried. I was all "Get emergency candles. You know, for emergencies.".

Yankee Candle just made $100 off of me. That's well beyond what my candle budget called for, but at $20 a piece I now have one for each room of the house. My room, 2 kids rooms, living room, kitchen. I was all "You know we could have just carried them with us.", which means I will be enjoying the living room candle from my place on the couch this evening...for safety.

Any chance you could rig up one of these?

goya.jpg

My wife went out a bit earlier to do just that. It hasn't happened yet, but when we flood our water gets contaminated. We had a flood in 09 and they are still trying to get our drinking water under control.

Well...I tried. I was all "Get emergency candles. You know, for emergencies.".

Yankee Candle just made $100 off of me. That's well beyond what my candle budget called for, but at $20 a piece I now have one for each room of the house. My room, 2 kids rooms, living room, kitchen. I was all "You know we could have just carried them with us.", which means I will be enjoying the living room candle from my place on the couch this evening...for safety.

Those Yankee candles will last a lot longer than emergency candles plus it will make the area smell nice.

I keep two of the old hurricane lanterns out on the porch....the wife thinks they are cute. I think they are nice to have when the lights go out. She also laughs about the fifty gallons of water stashed in my shop....but, she does like clean water in her coffee. So far, that's been the worst, the well water is cloudy and has silt in it....that'll clear up in a week or so, hope my stash holds out!

Lots of folks have it much worse right now. It was quite an event and the stage is set....there could be more. Start looking downstream now...that's where all this water is headed.

It's raining again, or still, in the DFW. Window shaking thunder. The backyard is a swamp. It didn't rain like this even in 2006 or 7 when we had those training storms keep crossing the metroplex. Thankfully, our drainage improvements (I dug the Panama canal through the backyard) are keeping the water out the house. Unfortunately though, hops are not aquatic plants.

I was just in San Marcos last weekend visiting friends. They luckily are still ok, just maybe flooded in. Last night, here in the Houston area, some of my friends didn't fare so well. Lots of water inside the house and they won't be able to live there anymore. We had a lake in our front yard and it looks like a tornado hit the back, but no water in the house. Kids were happy that school was cancelled for the day.

It looks like there will be more rain coming in the next few days so I hope everyone in the path stays safe and dry. There's not really anywhere for the water to go now.

Just thought I would give you guys some info. I know a lot of you are aware of the flooding in San Marcos (Texas) over the weekend.

First, TxBrew and I are alright. I really appreciate everyone who took the time to check on us. Sorry I couldn't respond sooner. Cable/Phone/Internet went down Saturday morning and didn't come back on till late last night.

There also were issues sending email/text messages/phone calls through out the entire weekend (It's actually still an issue).

There is damage, and unfortunately some people didn't make it out of the flood area. We are under curfew (9 pm) till the waters recede, but of course the rain starts up again tomorrow so who knows.

There are large chunks of the road missing, and the town is pretty still right now while most brace for round 2.

We lost power for a considerable amount of time in the area too. Today we're out buying candles. I will keep you guys informed via this thread if any issues come up personally for Tx or myself.

Again, thanks for reaching out! If it takes me a bit to respond that's what's going on.

Good to know you & Tex are safe, well & dealing with it all with a sense of humor. Hope you get as little damage as possible & come out on top of things. Kinda makes you want to invest in a houseboat doesn't it? :D
Regards, GF.

Hoping everything works out for all involved. Being without running water absolutely sucks, and being in The south in June without electricity isn't any picnic especially with 100% humidity.

I don't know if it's an issue up there, but when hurricanes messed up the cell towers and Internet access businesses had to go to cash only, since their electronic systems were down. Now I know to have a few hundred bucks on hand when a big storm is heading our way. It was weeks before things returned to normal.

Flooding woes in TX and other areas made our torrential downpour seem downright mild! I left my window down in the Durango and the floor had standing water and water ran out from under the dash when I turned corners.

And a boxelder tree fell over in our yard from the loose ground. I'll cheerily cut it up and haul away the branches knowing how much worse other people have it.

Glad Austin and TxBrew are safe, and my other Texas friends in Austin and the coast are all ok as well. They have a lot of water, and some damage, but they are all doing ok. My friends in Orange seem to be getting the brunt of it now, although the flooding throughout seems pretty bad and will be bad until the water recedes.

Be safe- I'm thinking of you!

Well it's starting again. You guys stay safe. Weather reports say it's raining the clear until next week.

My neighborhood can't take much more. The trenches are still full. I worry it's going to make it's way into the house, but there's nothing I can do so there you go.

Well it's starting again. You guys stay safe. Weather reports say it's raining the clear until next week.

My neighborhood can't take much more. The trenches are still full. I worry it's going to make it's way into the house, but there's nothing I can do so there you go.

I've got some river tubes you can borrow. And an air mattress that will float.

Oh, and a big box of DVDs.

Good enough to be boxed up and forgotten about for 5 years.

Do you like kung-fu movies?

Timmy, do you like movies about gladiators?

In my infinite wisdom, I'm headed closer to the real mess this weekend, to Lakes Whitney & Aquilla, mostly Aquilla. Not that we haven't gotten our fair share, but it pales in comparison.

I've got some river tubes you can borrow. And an air mattress that will float.

Oh, and a big box of DVDs.

I needed those days ago. If the internet goes out again I'm going to start a riot.

Riot - Blue Murder

There's been a riot
Down on Main Street tonight
They just went crazy
They set this whole damn town alight

Whiskey to water
And water to wine
Run for your life
Run for your life

There's been a riot

I like to take old rap lyrics and make them my own. That's like living poetry. Living poetry that's 2 legit.

No Diggity.

One of my employees made the observation that it's been raining in Texas ever since Blue Bell closed.

I think she's onto something. God is crying, and can't be consoled without ice cream.

Get your **** together, Blue Bell. It's raining. Again.

Riot - Blue Murder

There's been a riot
Down on Main Street tonight
They just went crazy
They set this whole damn town alight

Whiskey to water
And water to wine
Run for your life
Run for your life

There's been a riot
Great song. Great band!

One of my employees made the observation that it's been raining in Texas ever since Blue Bell closed.

I think she's onto something. God is crying, and can't be consoled without ice cream.

Get your **** together, Blue Bell. It's raining. Again.
hahaha This makes sense.

Power came back for a little bit and the water receded off the patio. Now the power is out again and red storms are training over the west DFW. Nice :roll eyes: Guess I'm on flood watch.

Back