Floatys in beer. Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldManBrew

Reaction score
I have been through so much for this beer and my heart hit the ground when I poured my first beer out of my keg and saw all these white floatys. I have througly cleaned my keg twice. When I was running my starsan solution through my lines I was noticing all these floatys in the solution. Thinking that they were still in the keg, I re-cleaned the keg with pbw, and starsan solution again. After this second time, it appeared I had no more floatys so I transfered from my fermenter into my keg. All together I've put 20 gallons through these lines. Are they safe to drink? Should I transfer again and strain my beer? Any and all advice is welcome

In addition I used single stage fermenting, I don't use a beer stone, and I even cold crashed this beer

image-309232240.jpg

It's yeast and very safe to drink... it's actually good for you, loaded with B-vitamin complex.

Your first couple pulls on a keg will likely be yeasty unless you filter or cold crash for a decent amount of time.

You have two solutions: (1) Drink a couple yeasty pints until you've taken all of the non-flocculated yeasties out of your keg, or (2) Let it sit in your kegerator for a week or so. You'll have crystal clear beer after that.

Good luck :mug:

I had a beer with "floaties" too. I did drink some of it, but then had others ready so the floatie beer sat for a long time...it is now clear as a bell. I'll bet yours clears with time too.

I have let the beer stand for a 1/2 hour and the flakes have all settled to the bottom of the glass. The beer tastes phenomenal, but thats enough floatys for me to question the beer. I've made several batches of brew and have never experienced this

this is my second batch through my keg system. I did let it sit for 3 months still in fridge with an almost kicked keg. I would have thought that approx 20 gallons of liquids (pbw, water, starsan) through them would most surely clean anything out that was in there. But that is what is worrying me too. I hope its not something in my lines or tap

I hope its not something in my lines or tap

It's yeast and very safe to drink... it's actually good for you, loaded with B-vitamin complex.

Your first couple pulls on a keg will likely be yeasty unless you filter or cold crash for a decent amount of time.

You have two solutions: (1) Drink a couple yeasty pints until you've taken all of the non-flocculated yeasties out of your keg, or (2) Let it sit in your kegerator for a week or so. You'll have crystal clear beer after that.

Good luck :mug:

Yeast

RDWHAHB

I'm betting it is yeast. I get bottles like that.

If it tastes like beer it should be safe to drink.

dont worry about it my dead guy had this that i kegged a week ago its fine not floaty s and almost crystal clear now the first 3 pints i had had flaoties now its fine....

I did taste it and it tastes amazing. The floatys are just new to me, never have seen them in any of my previous batches. Maybe I sucked up too much of the residual at the bottom, I only left maybe 1/2 a beer left at the bottom. I also got a little impatient during the transfer since my siphon was not going as fast as I needed it to (had to go to the bathroom) and pumped it occasionally.

some of your brews will have them, most probably won't. Lots of things factor in, but they all add up to RDWHAHB

Back