Floating clumps of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etrain666

Reaction score
Howdy,

I am experiencing something odd with a curent batch of IPA. A few factors could be contributing here, so bare with me:

Issue: In primary on day 10, terminal gravity has been hit and there is a chunky layer of flotsam floating at the top which will not sink. It looks like a combination of yeast chunks and leaf hops.

Process:
Used liquid yeast for the first time and made my starter. Normal process, however, before pitching, I shook up my vial of yeast to get it unstuck from the sides. When opening the cap, I lost about half of it to foaming. I was worried I lost too much, so I pitched a second vial (too much yeast?)

In the boil I used 7 oz of leaf hops in my spider. I spilled about an ounce into the boil. A lot of those leaves ended up in the fermentor.

I have dry hopped with leaf hops before and know how they can float and never sink, but it seems odd that it is clumping with the yeast. I have give the fermentor a gentle couple of spins, but the solids do not seem to be sinking. Is this an infection, or anything to be concerned about? I have never seen this happen with dry yeast.

Don't worry about it. The yeast is probably just more flocculent than you are used to. Just give it a bit more time and if the matter never sinks, just rack from underneath. Sometimes it helps to just give it a very gentle shake, just enough to break the surface tension.

Back