Flipping Over a Barley Crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boggs6ft7

Reaction score
First post, long time lurker though.

My question is if I can take a Barley Crusher and flip it over to mount it underneath a table.

I want to motorize using a direct drive motor, but I would like to mount everything under the surface to give a little more table space. I realize I will have to rework the hopper.

I tried emailing the guys who make the BC, but they have not responded.

It seems like it would work, but I want to make sure there isn't anything that I have not taken into account.

Well, I have a motorized mill that I did DIY......and if you are going to rework the hopper......what is the advantage of inverting the crusher?.....I really see no advantage at all here, IMO......I urge you to reconsider the upside down thing. Check out this web site....it has awesome info on motorizing. Also, you can pick up cheap....like 2-3 dollar motors at the local scrap yard....what a steal ;)

http://hbd.org/carboy/motorizing_a_malt_mill.htm

Well, I have a motorized mill that I did DIY......and if you are going to rework the hopper......what is the advantage of inverting the crusher?.....I really see no advantage at all here, IMO......I urge you to reconsider the upside down thing. Check out this web site....it has awesome info on motorizing. Also, you can pick up cheap....like 2-3 dollar motors at the local scrap yard....what a steal ;)

http://hbd.org/carboy/motorizing_a_malt_mill.htm

I want to have a more table space not taken up by a motor since it will be underneath as well.

As for the link, I don't want to do a belt driven system. I already have a motor to direct drive the crusher.

what is the point of flipping the crusher over? Why not simply remove the hopper and then mount it basically hanging it from the bottom of the table. Sort of placing the table between the hopper and crusher as a spacer. no need to flip it over.

Mysticmead said:
what is the point of flipping the crusher over? Why not simply remove the hopper and then mount it basically hanging it from the bottom of the table. Sort of placing the table between the hopper and crusher as a spacer. no need to flip it over.

Because it can only be bolted from one side.

I don't see any reason it wouldn't work upside down. It is not a complex device.

But you could also mount it right-side up if you just use a couple of brackets

are the axles screwed in or machined as part of the roller? if screwed in you might run into issues with it running in reverse (since it would be flipped) and unscrewing itself.

Been giving this some thought Bogg.......I think you can absolutely do it now that I understand your concept. You will have to customize your crusher to utlize the hopper though which is unfortunate and could void any warranty that still exists. It's actually a pretty cool idea and would have saved me money on pulleys. However.......what RPM is the motor you plan to use. You want to keep the RPM's of the crusher at around 300 or under. Mine operates at about 260 give or take. You go too fast and the grain won't crush right. Even if you don't plan to use pulley's.......read through the post I gave you for some background on crush and RPM's. Then again.....you might already have this on lock down.

Cheers

Been giving this some thought Bogg.......I think you can absolutely do it now that I understand your concept. You will have to customize your crusher to utlize the hopper though which is unfortunate and could void any warranty that still exists. It's actually a pretty cool idea and would have saved me money on pulleys. However.......what RPM is the motor you plan to use. You want to keep the RPM's of the crusher at around 300 or under. Mine operates at about 260 give or take. You go too fast and the grain won't crush right. Even if you don't plan to use pulley's.......read through the post I gave you for some background on crush and RPM's. Then again.....you might already have this on lock down.

Cheers

I'm running at 177 RPM's. I got that motor from Surplus Center that a lot of guys have been using.

Back