Flip Top Growler Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick986

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found a few flip top glass growlers I forgot I had, and I'm wondering if anyone has bottle conditioned in similar ones before? I've seen general consensus for growlers is a no for bottling, however most seem to be looking to use screw top bottles. Thoughts on using these? They seem to be fairly thick in the neck area, which to my knowledge seems to be the weakest area?
IMG_20191117_101436.jpg
IMG_20191117_101443.jpg

It's just a matter of if they were made for that purpose. I don't like to leave proper bottling practices to speculation which is all I'd be able to do. So, I wouldn't carbonate in it unless you take precautions.
I looks like a "2L" size on the bottom in the photo. Another thing would be you have to pour
in one motion anyway unless you don't mind mixing all of the sediment into the beer.
I saw some great 750ml, thick flip-tops on a UK site and am now in the process of trying to find them here. I would cork and cage but if I can get big flip-tops, way easier.

You should replace the grommets before trying to carbonate in them. The rubber dries and shrinks and a little give in the seal means the CO2 will escape before pressure forces it back into the beer.

It's fine. I've done it many times. Even have a small eight oz flip top that is my sample bottle, to early check flavors and carbonation.
I've got a couple of 2l growlers that I'd like to try next bottling day...how much head space do you leave in them?

Beer doesn't always need to be carbonated to the highest pressure. Plan to make some beer with less carbonation and you get less pressure in the growlers. Much better than going for the correct carbonation and having the growler burst where you lose the growler and the beer too.

Back