Flip Top Bottles for Bottle Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EkieEgan

Reaction score
I have scored a case of nice brown flip top bottles that were used only once with the original store sold beer. They are 16.9 oz. each. The gaskets are all new looking. I have used these style of bottles in the past to bottle beer that I had filtered and kegged, but never used them for bottle conditioning. I am curious what peoples experiences are with them. Pro's? Con's? Problems holding a seal? Thoughts?

Love ez caps, if that is what you have. Only issue is youll need a bigger pint to empty them.

I use mainly these for all my beer, almost two years now, never had a single problem. But I use 1L (34oz) flip-tops, not 0.5L (17oz). Actually, 17oz should be even stronger, due to smaller volume. Even if the rubber seals fail after some time, you can buy replacement seals for them cheap.
Oh, and it's fun opening them, makes a nice popping sound just like champagne :)

I rarely bottle these days, but when I do, I exclusively use these flip top bottles. They're so much more convenient. I do bottle with a beer gun, though, rather than naturally carbonating, but I can't imagine that would make any difference.

I used to use them exclusively. Mine were mostly saved Grolsch bottles. Works fine. Only potential issue is an occasional flat bottle when the gaskets get old. On a 5 gal batch, I never had more than 1-2 bottles have a bad seal, which was acceptable for me considering the convenience. I also ran them through the dishwasher sanitize cycle, so I probably didn't do the gaskets any favors. :)

Very true. I've got a bunch I haven't used in a few years, thinking about replacing all the gaskets and putting them back into service. I used to take the lazy strategy, and just toss the bottle when I came across a bad gasket. But I also had plenty of extra bottles on hand.

I wouldn't age beer in these bottles - although after using them a lot I haven't had any experiences that would have made ageing a problem. If the beer is going to be drunk within a few months of bottling then absolutely perfect.

I made a ginger beer (ginger drink that is fermented, not beer with ginger) and some bottles got lost in the back of my in-laws fridge. When i popped them they gushed out big time but the bottles held fine.

I bottled my second batch to early in 1l bottles. They gushed a foot high. But, no bombs. Strong bottles.

they work great for bottle conditioning, the only reason i use smaller bottles is for gifting to others and beers that require very long aging, since i like to keep the easier to fill bottles in the "high rotation" and not sitting full for months in the cellar ;D

Don't listen to any of the above. Those bottles suck and are a danger to you and you family.

You seem like a nice guy and I wouldn't want you harmed.

Please send them to me and I will make sure you don't get hurt,
You are welcome.

I would like to add, if anyone else has any, you can send them to me too. I love you all. You cover the postage, you know since I am the one doing you a service.

:fro:

I normally keg, but when I brew a big beer, I always use the flip tops.
They work great and gaskets are cheap when they need replaced.

Since they are initially a little pricier to replace -- I tend to remind individuals to please return empty bottles. :)

Sounds like I am in good shape then. I appreciate all the feedback..sounds like everyone here is on the same page so it's all good! Thanks fellow brewers!! :)

Another advantage: advance sanitizing.

No need to sanitize these just before filling them. I sanitize and close them days or weeks for before bottling. It makes bottling day that much shorter.

Back