flavoring a berliner weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

octo

Reaction score
would it work sufficiently to use, say, the frozen juice mix concentrates in lieu of using priming sugar when bottling to add flavors instead of going the whole adding fruit route? I was toying with the idea of making a margarita berliner weisse (or would this turn it into a gose? ;) )

Interesting idea. I think it would work just so long as you properly calculated the amount of concentrate needed to reach the correct volume of CO2.

mhm, theoretically it should work. would just take a few containers of concentrate. has anyone tried doing this before? and if so how have the flavors transferred?

I wouldn't think juice concentrate would be enough to impact the flavor of the beer before you got to a point of over carbonating. That's why they're added afterwards I always though. You basically get a shot glass of syrup with the beer so you can use as much or as little as you want. Plus this will offer the flavor in conjunction with a little sugar sweetness since it'd be fermented out in secondary/priming.

I vote to add it as you go since you can have more variety that way.

I wouldn't think juice concentrate would be enough to impact the flavor of the beer before you got to a point of over carbonating. That's why they're added afterwards I always though. You basically get a shot glass of syrup with the beer so you can use as much or as little as you want. Plus this will offer the flavor in conjunction with a little sugar sweetness since it'd be fermented out in secondary/priming.

I vote to add it as you go since you can have more variety that way.

^this, Priming like normal and using the concentrate as a flavor shot is the way to go, Ive done this quite a bit, personally I like the raspberry lemonade concentrate the best in a bweis

If you add it at the time of pouring, you get to experiment with different flavors. Lately I've been hooked on maple syrup. I have a raspberry syrup too, but it doesn't mix as well.

Well I have 6 gallons, so I was just going to pull off 2 gallons and use the concentrate to bottle those 2 gallons. and use normal dextrose in other 4 gallons.

Ryane, have you tried adding the concentrate when bottling? Raspberry lemonade was also one I was thinking of trying. Though, it seems like it may make it brutally tart.

Ryane, have you tried adding the concentrate when bottling? Raspberry lemonade was also one I was thinking of trying. Though, it seems like it may make it brutally tart.

No I havent, the amt of sugar you need is relatively small, so adding the concentrates probably wouldnt add much flavor. Adding the lemonade syrup to the glass though there is lots of sugar to offset the sourness

Sounds like an interesting experiment. If you do try it, make sure the concentrate doesn't have any preservatives that will result in conditioning problems.

Back